G12 sticky clutch question

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Kabrit Bill

Post by Kabrit Bill »

I have a 1959 G12 and the clutch leaver is very stiff to operate, the spring adjustments are fully tightened and there is a lot of oil on the plates. I think that the oil may be too thick for the clutch and this is causing the plates to stick. It looks like I might need a SAE20 oil in the chain case but just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem in case I am missing something.
Searching for a G9
Eric

Post by Eric »

The primary chaincase is supposed to have engine oil, some people use Automatic Transmission Fluid.

The oil level should only be high enough for the lower edge of the chain to just dip into it occasionally not run in it all the time.

If the spring adjustments are fully tightened this will make the clutch stiff, they should only be tightened enough to stop the clutch slipping, and maintain an equal parallel pull when operating the clutch lever.

The clutch cable must be routed to avoid any tight curves, you can determine what difference this makes by just allowing the cable to have its own route and then see how much stiffer things get when you introduce a curve.

The pivot centre of the handle bar lever should be 7/8" not 1" as found on many bikes.

The cable needs to be in good condition and lubricated correctly.

That should keep you going for awhile, if its still not right come back and say you have done all of these things and its still stiff, then I or others will give you some other things to check.

Post by 1608 »

You say the spring " adjustments" are fully tightened ! Does that mean they are wound up as far as they will go, or are they srewed in so the screw head is flush with the stud thread like the book says. Sometimes the srews are wound in too far in order to overcome clutch slip when the problem lies elsewhere , such as too heavier grade oil or worn plates etc.