G12 Rear brake pedal

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
owen

G12 Rear brake pedal

Post by owen »

Can any one help me please, I have a 64 G12 CSR.and are re-doing the rear brake pedal and stoplight switch,Which is norton based.
The problem i have is the spring behind the pedal axle do's not return the brake pedal thus with the correct stop light switch that cost a good slice of my pension will not work correctly or return the pedal.I would of thought that the spring compresses to work correctly but mine expands and to my way of thinking wrong,also the metal tang that holds the spring tail is wrong, are there different sizes of these?,my hazy memory thinks so.It's probable the bike has been down the road in the past as the pedal is a strange shape as is the footrest, So it has a bit of frame damage so the lug that holds the stoplight has to be packed out and a Top-hat washer fitted.The footrest is replacable,but not the pedal i gather.
Many thanks Owen.
Don Madden

G12 Rear brake pedal

Post by Don Madden »

It sounds like you have the correct parts. Did you try to adjust the spring stop tab? It is clamped between the frame & the pedal pivot. To adjust, loosen the nut on the R/H side of the stud & rotate the tab until it supports the pedal, then re-tighten while holding things in postition. If that doesn't work, the spring may be distorted. Cheers, Don.