Twin oil feed/return pipe end fittings.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello
My 1961 G12 CSR has a very neat set of oil feed and return pipes fitted by a previous owner. The fittings on the end of the pipes appear to be similar to the crimped on ends that you can get on fuel pipes but I can't see any crimp marks. I'd like to fit a return oil filter and I'd like to use the same sort of fittings (not jubilee clips). How are the pipes attached to the engine banjo fittings and oil tank? The hoses look like they are just pushed onto barbed ends that grip the hose. At the moment I don't have any leaks so I'd rather not disturb anything....
Any ideas? Has anyone bought new hoses from the club recently?
Thanks
CAB
wilko

Post by wilko »

I had those fittings put on at a truck parts place. It's an expensive machine that doesn't really crimp but sort of spins at a million miles an hour whilst contracting.Take the hoses to a hydraulic place they'll have the parts.Actually they will have the 1/2 inch reinforced hose anyway.Please don't use the red stuff as i have seen, it looks hideous!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Ahhh, another can o' worms. You refer to the oil lines as a unit, "oil pipes", where actually it is an assembly of metal pipes that attach to the engine, rubber hoses that slip over the pipes & oil tank stubs, & brass ferrules that slip over the hoses for neatness & probably to keep the ends from expanding and/or splitting. The ferrules are a close fit on the original hoses but are not crimped.

Much has changed in the 50yrs since your bike was built & the thin wall oil hoses used by AMC are banned in the US & possibly other markets so the ferrules won't slip over the hoses. If you cannot find the correct size where you are, AMC Classic Spares does list the rubber hose in original size. Over here, I turn down 5/8in pipe compression nuts & bore out half the thread depth giving a neat substitute that fits our thick, double wall hoses.

Cheers, Don.