Slipping clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
trophy

Slipping clutch

Post by trophy »

I have had a phone call for help from a friend. He has a 1953 AJS model 20 that is hitched to a sidecar. He lives 300+ miles away so I can't pop over to see the problem. His clutch is slipping so much that it won't turn the engine over. He says the corks look burnt although there is plenty of meat on them. Increasing the spring pressure makes no difference. Can anyone suggest a remedy? I use Ferodo plates on my 1957 G9 but am not sure if they can be fitted to his 1953 AJS 20. If so should he also go for new plain plates
Ride safe all.
laxy

Slipping clutch

Post by laxy »

tell him to back off the adjuster in the clutch pressure plate so there is clearance between the adjuster and the pushrod.What oil is he using in the primary chaincase?also is the pushrod the correct length?has the problem just materialised or is the valve lifter if fitted wrongly adjusted and keeping the ex. valve off its seat causing similar symptoms to clutch slip when starting?
laxy

Slipping clutch

Post by laxy »

sorry, just realised its a twin.scrub the valve lifter theory
does sound like clutch friction plates to me. Or if things have been getting a little hot lugging a chair about the springs can weaken
clive

Slipping clutch

Post by clive »

Has he slacked off the push rod adjustment? If there is insufficient clearance this would cause clutch slip and prevent the spring pressure making any difference.
If this does not sort it out the springs may need replacing.
Finally if the corks are burnt due to too much clutch slipping to pull away the plain plates may be glazed. Personally with a 500 single and a huge double adult sidecar I found that the new bonded plates were not up to the job and always used old plates purchased from autojumbles, then no slippage. This was the type that have sintered metal bits in the friction material (which may have also contained asbestos and hence no longer be possible to manufacture).Edited by - clive on 06 Jun 2010 10:20:58 PM
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
trophy

Slipping clutch

Post by trophy »

Thanks Keith and Clive. I will pass on your advice and hope it works. Personally I use ATF in the chaincases of my classics without problems and will advise him to do the same.
Ride safe all.