DVLA Registration with old V5 and no plate

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bailequaile

Post by bailequaile »

Hello all,

I'm sure this topic has been done to death and I apologise if it has but I can't seem to find the info I need using 'Search Forum'.
If there is an answer to my queries in a previous topic then please send me a link. Any help would be appreciated!

So here it is:
I recently purchased a 1961 Model 31 that has been sitting in a shed since at least 1982. I'm guess that the last 30 odd years worth of owners has been lost in the mist of time because there are no names on the Registration book later than '82.

What I need to know is how do I go about getting the bike registered in my name? I'm from New Zealand and this is the first time I have gone through the process of trying to ressurect an old bike over here.
I have a Registration book from 1975 that has "Conversion" stamped in red on each page. I also have a Test Certificate and a tax disc from the same year and finally I have a one page V5 Vehicle Registration Document with a tear off bottom. I have no idea how old this is. It is stamped J7675475 on top and I think it's from the early 80's.
The notification of sale or tansfer section is blank so the last sale of the bike post '82 went unreported.
I know the bike has been sitting for the last few decades so this isn't really surprising.

Do I have enough information to get the bike registered in my name and what issues am I likely to face with no notification of sal eor transfer from any of the previous owners?

I entered the Bikes Registration Mark on the DVLA web site and it came up with same information that is listed on my V5. Last change of keeper 1982.
Does the fact that the DVLA still has this information on file mean
that the Rego number is still somehow attached to the bike or will I have to start from scratch and get a new registration number for her?
Also on the DVLA site it states that the DATE OF LIABILITY is 01/07/2010 and that the 'Licence is due to expire'. Does this mean anything for a vehicle that has been off the road for 30 years?

Any information or advice would be much appreciated as I am hoping to get the bike back on the road before the end of summer.....assuming summer actually arrives that is!

Cheers in advance guys!

robf1961

Post by robf1961 »

hi
if date of liability is given as 01/07/2010 that means that somebody must have SORN'd (statuatory off road notice) last June/July time and it is still registered. We have to SORN or tax a bike every 12 months.
If you post the V5 off with your details in the new owner you should be OK
clive

Post by clive »

you have to sorn again on the transfer of ownership
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Eric

Post by Eric »

Just to help a little SORN means Statutory Off Road Notification so you or someone is telling the DVLA that the bike is off the public road but still exists, so someone has been doing that at least for the registration, even though it may not really be the bike you actually have or did the person you purchased it from keep the SORN going?

It has been known for some devious people to take over a registration number in this way so that they can try to sell it on later as a cherished number and make money from it. Once not long ago a section member went to the Banbury run on his ancient and found another of the same with his number on it.Edited by - Eric on 15 Jun 2010 10:40:41 PM
les ward

Post by les ward »

You should be able to reclaim the original number using the V765 scheme with the DVLA.
Full details are on this site under Club, then Machine Dating. Your old V5 should be enough documentary evidence.
Email me on dating@jampot.com and I will go through the procedure with you.
Regards,
Les Ward
Machine Dating Officer
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

opps pressed the wrong button again Dad,If you can find the time it might be worth your while going to your local DVLA office and talking to someone there.I have found that they are quite helpful(much more than they were in days of old)There is no point in trying to phone the local office cos the line is always busy.I have managed to get back a couple of my registration numbers just using an old tax disc or brown log book from the bike.Paul