8" Blackout Headlight Shroud

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Can anyone help me find a WO pattern blackout headlight shroud for an 8" Lucas headlight fitted to all vehicles and motorcycles for the duration. It is for my 1940 WO G3. As long as it is not too far gone or manky I am willing to pay a reasonable price.

Thanks in anticipation

Tommy REEdited by - Tommy RE on 23 Jun 2010 08:47:26 AM
wilko

Post by wilko »

Do you mean the rim?I found one on a bus that is rotting in the bush so i knicked a few bits off the 8" headlight.It has the hole underneath for the holder to pop into.
model26

Post by model26 »

I got an 8" rim from the Kempton Park jumble, however, this was for my pre-war bike. I would have thought it would do for the WD, when painted green. It was roughly £10, perfect finish (chrome) and size, but it did start rusting slightly fairly early on - but then there isn't much choice in new ones.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Thanks for your response guys. No it is not the rim, what I am looking for is a Headlight blackout shroud which were fitted to all vehicles & motorcycles for the duration of the war
itma

Post by itma »

Black out masks came in many guises.
civilian ones were different to the military and those came in several versions.

For your 8 inch lamp it was a lot different to the smaller.
I suggest you keep an eye on ebay in the collectables/transportation category there are a few about, its the military ones that are hard to find

here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/wartime-TRICO-Hea ... 483b007981

essential reading for the WD rider, yes I know its BSA based but the kit is the same

http://members.quicknet.nl/ahum/Edited by - itma on 23 Jun 2010 10:00:37 AMEdited by - itma on 23 Jun 2010 10:04:30 AM
ianselva

Post by ianselva »

I think your best bet would be Cornucopia in Germany - there must be a lot of ex WD Nortons there or else buy a 6 1/2" one and modify the flat part to your size. I imagine that was the only difference .

Ian
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Thanks Itma,

Do you think the Austin seven one will do?
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

quote:
I think your best bet would be Cornucopia in Germany - there must be a lot of ex WD Nortons there or else buy a 6 1/2" one and modify the flat part to your size. I imagine that was the only difference .

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your guidance, I will check out the website.

Tommy REEdited by - Tommy RE on 23 Jun 2010 1:51:45 PM
itma

Post by itma »

the Austin one will do as for much as anyone can tell you different.

This is what a genuine 1942 61/2 inch one looks like you will see it is integral with the rim as well.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/ ... ackout.jpg[/IMG]

later ones have detail differences as well, dont be tempted to cut one down, waste of money for what they are fetching, if you can find one.

did you measure the long thread on your spindle by any chance?Edited by - itma on 23 Jun 2010 3:53:12 PM
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

You might try L W Vass of Ampthill Bedfordshire. They deal in a lot of ex MOD vehicles & parts. It's just the sort of thing that might be kicking around in a corner somewhere on their huge site.