G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Cerberus

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Cerberus »

My G9 has developed a noisy exhaust plus something is loose inside one box, so sounds like new replacement mega is required. Any recommendations for supplier, web search turns up Feked and Armours.Edited by - Cerberus on 26 Jul 2010 5:35:41 PM
ianselva

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by ianselva »

At Stamford Hall there was a a new supplier for straight through exhausts like the old Burgess ones, www.classicbikeshop.co.uk. They supply the meggas.
try this link
http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/

IanEdited by - ianselva on 25 Jul 2010 7:43:49 PM
Eric

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Eric »

Ian the link seesm to take you somewhere else.
Duncan

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Duncan »

Rex

Have you checked that it is not just the mute that has detached from the down pipe and is rattling in the silencer?
ianselva

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by ianselva »

Eric

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Eric »

Ian they both work now but when I tried the first one it went somewhere else.

Just found out the name of where it went before: - To easywebstore it seesm they are the technical group behind the shop front as it were.Edited by - Eric on 25 Jul 2010 10:28:56 PM
Cerberus

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Cerberus »

The original reason for the post was to start "getting my ducks in a row" in case replacement was needed, however, wrt Duncan's remark:

"Have you checked that it is not just the mute that has detached from the down pipe and is rattling in the silencer?"

This was also suggested last night by a fellow E-Berks section member so after returning from work this afternoon, I removed silencer and suspicions were confirmed. However, what I found was that the mute looks extremely home-made, consisting of a copper tube about 12 inches long "crushed" at one end and it looks like it was just forced into the end of the pipe as there was no evidence of any fixing. In the short term, I've cleaned up the end of the pipe and the "mute", used some high temp gasket compound as a lubricant and used a rubber mallet to "bash it back in". Hopefully this will get me through to the autumn (the previous fixing had lasted to my knowledge two previous owners over at least 2-3 years). I can work out a better more "engineered" fixing method in the cold evenings. (Haven't checked the fix until the sealant has set - 24 hrs).

On the supplier pointer, the silencer picture from classicbikeshop looks different to mine, which looks like the Feked version with a brazed on bracket rather than a mounting stud.

Thanks for the input.
Eric

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Eric »

My later model year also has a bracket welded (not brazed) onto the silencer body, thus making a left & right hand version. With just a stud you could use one for both hands and substitute a bolt on bracket but this would not be as per original specification, and they didn't seem to supply the bracket.
Cerberus

G9 Silencer (1956 - meg)

Post by Cerberus »

Result - got home after work, started it up, burbled along nicely as it used to, took out for a run - nice and smooth again.