AJS Mechanic need - Sydney Austraia

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

Hello Again from down under,

Having some oiling issues with my Model 20 which for the life of me I cannot solve. Its time for professional help.

Does anyone know of AJS expert in Syndey Australia? I'm finding it hard to find someone who will and can work on a AJS. Suggestions and contact details much appreciated.

Regards
John
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Tell her to do a little housework instead of watching you.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Eric

Post by Eric »

Why not try asking the forum members about your oiling problems there's not much if anything the members don't know so why not give it a try?

Be sure to describe the problem precisely including the model year for the engine and anything you may already have done to try and rectify it, then just wait for the answers. Engine number will help.Edited by - Eric on 30 Jul 2010 11:34:04 AM

Post by 1608 »

Hi Jonny, sorry can't help with mechanic details, but there is plenty of help and advice here on the forum if you think it will help.
Eric typed quicker than me.Edited by - 1608 on 30 Jul 2010 11:39:48 AM
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

Hey Guys,

I have asked the forum (month ago) for help with my oiling issues and I received lots of great advice which I followed without any luck. I was sure with everyone's combined knowledge I could fix it however I'm still suffering with the same issue thats why I'm now looking for professional help.

I've run out of options.

cheers
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

If your interested in the oiling issues I am having please see the links below to my previous forum entries.

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... Title=Help

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... Title=Help
Eric

Post by Eric »

I had not remembered your earlier entries even though I replied to one of them.

As you have oil going to the top after start up you know it can get there. However mono 50 is relatively thick and upon start up good oil pressure will be achieved it can be in excess of 250 lbs per sq inch and has blown the "O" ring seal on another section bike fitted with an in line canister type oil filter. You can see it bulging out as a normal thing when the engine is cold.

So the thing is try to get the oil pressure checked, with the engine hot. The sideways rock of the con rods suggests to me the big ends are worn, this will dramatically reduce oil pressure. I know friends of yours have said don't worry but they told me that as well, you know its not there on other bikes why should your model 20 be different?

The only real way to find out is to dismantle it then you will know for sure.

Also remember the rockers don't need much oil early engines had no built in oil feed to them and the rockers were external so you could give them a squirt with an oil can.

Did you change the oil distributor?
Did remove any metering plugs in the rocker feeds at the top or at the cylinder spigot?

If yes did this make any apparent difference?

What year is your model 20 or more specifcally the engine engine number will help?Edited by - Eric on 30 Jul 2010 2:38:17 PM

Post by 1608 »

Jonny, having re-read your earlier posts, can I make the following observations. Are you confusing 'rocking' with side play on the con rods. A Little side play is very different and acceptable. I'm still convinced that the problem is related to the oil preasure dropping either because of the main shells or oil distributor. One other possibility is that the oilway channel formed in the crank case halves has not been sealed properly and when the oil is hot and less viscous preasure drops, which is normal when hot, the oil is taking a line of least resistance from the cannel and into the crank case instead of up and to the rockers.. The oil preasure in this channel is very high when cold that is why metering plugs were fitted to stop over oiling the top end. As already stated, the rockers need very little oil. Hope this helps.
john

Post by john »

How many marriages are you now on Merlin?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Third time very very lucky
Chemists do it with test tubes