Model 8 centre stand

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
jimbob

Model 8 centre stand

Post by jimbob »

I am trying to put the spring onto my model 8 centre stand but I have no diagram to work from. I have a spring but I am not even sure if it is the right one and at the moment I cant work out where it goes. Sounds a stupid problem but its getting on my nerves anybody got any ideas what the spring looks like, where it goes or if i can get a diagram to show me?

I just know it will be either obvious or painful!Edited by - jimbob on 10 Nov 2010 10:03:15 PM
Phamiltoneddy

Model 8 centre stand

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

The centre stand return spring 042342 is an expansion spring with closed loops at either end. The front loop is anchored around the tubular footrest rod spacer 042486 that fits within the engine cradle. The rear loop encircles the centre of the operating rod 042343. The rod operates within guide slots within the engine cradle and the ends of the rod fit into holes drilled in the top lugs of the stand. The arrangement is shown in the photos below. One is a bit out of focus -sorry:

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24 ... 270061.jpg

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24 ... 270060.jpg

It appears that the spring can be removed only if the engine and gearbox are removed.

Hope this helps.
alanjennings

Model 8 centre stand

Post by alanjennings »

If true-what "a naff design!!"
Alan [Morini] Jennings
rex.webb

Model 8 centre stand

Post by rex.webb »

HOW often do you change it ???????????
Good idear to check the Engine at the same time ???????????????
Silly time in Cambridgeshire .
Ride with Care and Live Long
r w webb
BigAl350

Model 8 centre stand

Post by BigAl350 »

Alas, it's true - one of the fun aspects of Lightweight ownership! Very useful picture by the way, much appreciated by all us "Lighweighters"(sounds like a good name for those of us smitten by these bikes, though in my case, being 20 stone and 6ft 8ins tall, it may be not a perfectly accurate description!)

Big Al
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Malleon

Model 8 centre stand

Post by Malleon »

If there are so many "Lightweighters", why haven't any responded to the Exhibition Stand Aider's appeal for owners to display their P&Js at shows???
BigAl350

Model 8 centre stand

Post by BigAl350 »

I don't recall saying there were loads of us Lightweighters out there (though judging by recent posts they are becoming more common)and I can't speak for other owners but personally, I would be very happy to display my Lightweights - the only problem being they are under a (slow) process of refurbishment to make them generally better and more reliable, so travelling long distances at present is not always feasible (and I don't possess a van or bike trailer - any help with these for the purpose of showing off my bikes would always be very greatefully accepted!!!).

So how about it? Any other Lighweighters out there up for showing these bikes off? How about a Lightweight get together and general sharing of knowledge?

Al

Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
cbranni

Model 8 centre stand

Post by cbranni »

I'm up for that, but it will have to be next year! I am surrounded by bits at the moment. Talking of bits anyone know where I can get a gearbox cover plate for a lightweight G5
only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Model 8 centre stand

Post by Janet »

quote:
If there are so many "Lightweighters", why haven't any responded to the Exhibition Stand Aider's appeal for owners to display their P&Js at shows???
Be sensible Malcolm. You've seen my little bike. Would you want that on your stand at a show? (I haven't been to a bike show for years.)
jajo57

Model 8 centre stand

Post by jajo57 »

My Model 8 should be complete by Christmas, so, I shall be more than happy to put it on display in 2011. As BigAl350 and I live reasonably close to each other I'm sure we could find an economical way of transporting these delightful machines.

Richard
----------------------------------------------------------
Remember, everything is easy when you know how to do it.
----------------------------------------------------------