Tyres (opening can of worms?)

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

I've a need to replace a tyre on my '56 G9. I've spent several hours trudging through the previous posts on the forum looking for concensus views and trawling the internet. The result is not quite as bad as trying to compare Windows with Linux in the IT world or recommending engine oils on this forum, but....

Current tyres on the G9 (on the bike when purchased) are Michelin, my '61 M16 is fitted with Mitas (again as when purchased). A lot of people seem to use Avon Speedmaster / SM combinations and there are "devotees" of Dunlop.

First question - does anyone have any experience of life expectancy of Mitas (given they appear to be of the order of 1/3 price of Avon)?

Second question - only the back tyre is kn**d, however, my instinct tells me I should replace as a pair, especially if I end up changing to a different type - any comments?

Third question - and I'm probably going to do this anyway - should I change the inner tubes at the same time?

Final question - is there anything else I've forgotten (there usually is...)?

RexEdited by - Cerberus on 13 Nov 2010 11:57:42 AM
Eric

Post by Eric »

Don't use price as part of your judgement you need the very best you can get its the only contact between you and the road.

Yes its very sensible to change the inner tubes at the same time. Again use the best quality available. If the old ones appear to be sound you can always carry one around as emergency puncture repair.

As to what type I will let others make the suggestions, the Avon combination you mention is almost the same as original fitment and that's why many riders use them for the authentic look. I think with modern rubber compounds they are also quite good.Edited by - Eric on 13 Nov 2010 10:17:42 AM
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

Sound advice. I personally use Avons.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Some of the modern profiles look just wrong. But if you are doing something a bit silly, they might just be that much better
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

"Doing something silly" - No as my friends might say I tend to the "Captain Sensible" (James May) to their Richard Hamiltons!
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have been using a Mitas 400x19 on my road used G80cs,the past 3 years originally because its a difficult size to source, I think the only other was an Avon sm, the Mitas seems to be OK for sensible riding, dunno about the wet though, try to avoid it, I did do the Westward Ho on it this year had a little side slip atop Exmoor on really wet mud and leaves but thats all so far.
If I had a larger choice I would probably have bought a better known tyre, by the way, there were three AMC comp type machines on the' Ballard' french rally this year, all sporting 400x19 Mitas rears, my front is a 350x21 Avon ribbed. kind regardsEdited by - GOLDSTAR on 14 Nov 2010 09:45:26 AM
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

quote: Final question - is there anything else I've forgotten (there usually is...)?

Rim tape?
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Look out for "Far eastern" innertubes-they are rubbish!
Alan [Morini] Jennings