G3LS Front Hub

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pbass350

G3LS Front Hub

Post by Pbass350 »

Hi All, Recently joined could someone tell me how to take the Front Hub apart on a 1955 G3LS, as mine seems well stuck!!, Took the blanking plate off one side but on the brake lever side ??

Cheers
paultbird

G3LS Front Hub

Post by paultbird »

Welcome Phil, If I've read your question correctly, you're trying to remove the brake plate ?

Clamping the opposite end of the spindle in a fork leg should give a enough grip to undo the 'nut' holding the brake plate.

Also the brakes will have possibly expanded with cable removed, so move move brake lever with spanner on lever securing nut.

http://www.poachers-jampot.co.uk/
SPRIDDLER

G3LS Front Hub

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Phil.
Hmm, it's pretty straightforward - in effect a circlip one end and the bearing adjuster ring at t'other. Hardened grease can make it tricky but a bit heat can help (hairdryer etc). Treat it with respect; replacement axle assemblies of the original design are no longer available and you can't just replace the taper bearings but a complete replacement modern 'cartridge' type axle plus non-adjustable bearings assembly is available at around £100.
A website you''ll need to know is the so-called Christian's Archive ('cos that's it's name ).
Here's a workshop manual (for my '54) from the site which will help you with a drawing and instructions for most of your '55 bike although you'll probably have an AMC g/box, auto adv/retard and a full-width rear brake:

http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Search Christian's Archive (make a donation, it's worth its weight in gold) and I'm sure you'll find same for your '55 model.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pbass350

G3LS Front Hub

Post by Pbass350 »

I Knew joining the club was a good idea! - Thanks to Spriddler & Paultbird, will check it out
SPRIDDLER

G3LS Front Hub

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
on the brake lever side ??

Ah, brake backplate.....
To remove the brake backplate locknut I usually lay the wheel horizontal on a strong bucket on the bench (or on a dustbin - lid removed), slip a 12" long piece of tube over the brake lever and lock the brake on.
Holding the wheel(brake locked on) in one hand undo the nut with a spanner in t'other (obviously!) - the stiffer the nut is to release, the harder the brake can be locked on. Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 18 Nov 2010 3:57:01 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'