AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Roy Irvine

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by Roy Irvine »

I have a 1952 AJS 350 16M with a Gearbox with the following numbers on it

GB2L51
B106

The gearbox looks like the one displayed in the Bruce Main Smith catalogue for the AJS 1952, but enquires with the Classic Motorcycle Club in South Africa indicates that this gearbox model was not fitted to the 350cc bike but to the 500cc bike - can someone please advise? What do these numbers signify?

I'm looking for some replacement gears (1st & 3rd in particular) but will purchase a complete gearbox (if available) once I know which gearbox the bike should have.

Regards

Roy Irvine
Johannesburg
Don Madden

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by Don Madden »

The spares list for 1952 shows all models had the same gearbox, the Burman B52, made especially for AMC, but the internals were shared with other maker's such as Arial. Could the CMC be confused with 1951 where the CS only got a heavy duty version of the Burman CP, only in that year? Gears may be difficult to source but do a search using the original Burman numbers.
If you have not already done so, look in Christian's Archives, http://archives.jampot.dk for info.Cheers, Don.
1948AJSbaby

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by 1948AJSbaby »

Roy, contact me on 0834685284 and I can help you. I am also in Johannesburg
Roy Irvine

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by Roy Irvine »

Thanks Dave for all the information.
Roy Irvine

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by Roy Irvine »

quote:
The spares list for 1952 shows all models had the same gearbox, the Burman B52, made especially for AMC, but the internals were shared with other maker's such as Arial. Could the CMC be confused with 1951 where the CS only got a heavy duty version of the Burman CP, only in that year? Gears may be difficult to source but do a search using the original Burman numbers.
If you have not already done so, look in Christian's Archives, http://archives.jampot.dk for info.Cheers, Don.
Roy Irvine

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by Roy Irvine »

Hi Don,

Thanks for the link to the archives - this will be extremely useful.

Regards
Roy
Roy Irvine

AJS 16M Gearbox Number

Post by Roy Irvine »

Hi Don,

Thanks for the link to the archives - this will be extremely useful.

Regards
Roy