B52 Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
iandusud

B52 Clutch

Post by iandusud »

Thanks for the info Groily. However I think you've made a mistake. There should be, according to the parts list, 5 friction plates and 6 plain plates. The exploded view that you've linked to I think shows a 350 clutch (ie 4 friction and 5 plain plates). I hope to get some time on it tomorrow so I'll report back.

Ian
Groily

B52 Clutch

Post by Groily »

Sorry Ian! That'll larn me to 'assume'!
Just dug out my Neill, and yup, does look like 11 on a twin.)
Darn! With 6 and 5 it's much more touch and go. Maybe more go than touch.
Have to look and see what I'm actually running on the '54 - maybe it's been happily hauling my bulk these past 35 years on too few plates . . .

As for making things fit when they don't want to - on one non-AMC I've got a friction plate against the pressure plate, with the bonded stuff turned off on one side. Quite a good bodge actually in terms of getting the stack to size, and has done loads of hassle-free miles.

Anyway, the actual plate thicknesses quoted are definitely what I've got, which is something right at least.

Hope it's warmer your way than mine - shed freezing and white stuff (lots) everywhere.
54model20

B52 Clutch

Post by 54model20 »

54model20

B52 Clutch

Post by 54model20 »

please excuse the blank reply im a bit trigger happy today i replaced the clutch on my 54 model 20 earlier in the year when i opened mine up it was two plates short replaced it as per 54 amc manual 5 and 6 and shes spot on no slipping as before
Samuel

B52 Clutch

Post by Samuel »

quote: please excuse the blank reply im a bit trigger happy today
You can always edit your previous reply - no need to add another one !
Sam
wilko

B52 Clutch

Post by wilko »

I've been running a 350 clutch on my 500 for 7 years with no problems and 23 tooth engine sprocket! Just fit what plates you can and run it. As it beds in you might be able to squeeze the last two in at a later date. I use whatever hub i can get because they always have knackered splines.
Groily

B52 Clutch

Post by Groily »

Now ain't that the truth wilko. Is why there's this box of bits under the bench . . .!
If it turns out I am a plate or two short of a dinner service, at least it doesn't slip - and it's one-finger-light operation.
(I've got an extra tooth on the gearbox sprocket, which isn't a brilliant idea in some ways, but it does make it a wee bit more comfortable at cruising speeds.)
wilko

B52 Clutch

Post by wilko »

Yes, with my 23 toother mine really does fire every lamp post at 70mph! Mind you i'm a 10 stone weakling! For some reason i've found the burman clutches the most smoothest and trouble free of all makes even with whatever old bits and pieces i shove together. I've never bought new bits ever!
Groily

B52 Clutch

Post by Groily »

Apart from friction plates twice in my life, nor have I Wilko.
Totally agree about the Burman being about as smooth as it gets. But those teeth on the inside of the centre do get a bit worn over the years I've found, along with those ridges on the inside of the outer drum. So far I've always managed to find better 2nd-hand bits when things get critical . . . not even sure what new ones might be available come to that.
alanjennings

B52 Clutch

Post by alanjennings »

Lots of I hope, useful info. here as shortly I need to look at my clutch-it slips a bit and will certainly not get me and "the beloved" to Switzerland ! [not that we are either overweight!] I did enquire fairly recently and the club did not have plates for a B52 clutch any way!
Alan [Morini] Jennings