Model 16

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
gregory

Model 16

Post by gregory »

I have been tempted by a model 16 which was sold to the current vendor by Andy Tiernan - see http://www.andybuysbikes.com/Archive/4456.html
I am a bit worried about two things

- the engine has an exhaust putty like hard substance on one side at the top (you can see it in the photos)- anyone know what this is and is it bad news?
- I have no idea how original this bike is (and I know from a 22 year restoration of a frogeye how hard it can be to find the right parts) nor whether it is correctly priced

any help appreciated!

Greg

Model 16

Post by 1608 »

Apart from the muck around the head, what a lovely looking bike. Not much, if any restoring needed I'd have thought. You will find all the parts you need are plentiful ( and lots of advice ). A far more practical proposition than an Frog- Eye in my book.
I'd very much like to know what all that gunge about the head is though.

Just had a thought, I can only imagine that the putty type substance is being used to stem an oil leak, possibly from top 'o the push rod tubes.What ever the problem is,it wouldn't put me ff the bike,as there is sure to be a simple remedy.Puts you in a relatively strong bargaining position though !!Edited by - 1608 on 03 Jan 2011 3:51:40 PM
alanengineer

Model 16

Post by alanengineer »

yes, nice looking bike, but its sold

Model 16

Post by 1608 »

How, sold?
ianselva

Model 16

Post by ianselva »

quote:
How, sold?

It says in the first post "Sold to the current vendor by Andy Tiernan"
I cant see the gunge in the photos but it does occur to me that it might be covering a crack in the exhaust port caused by using it to lever the new pipe into place.

Ian
bjork

Model 16

Post by bjork »

I can't see the gunge either, sure it's not just the casting?
How much is the current vendor asking? Looks nice enough to me, anyway.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
gregory

Model 16

Post by gregory »

thanks guys - the bike was sold by Andy to the current vendor so it is in Andy's archive - the gunk is in the third photo down and is at the top of the push rod tubes (rather than the exhaust by the look of it) - what does that mean in terms of work if it is stopping a leak?
gregory

Model 16

Post by gregory »

the price is £3,000
bjork

Model 16

Post by bjork »

quote:
the gunk is in the third photo down and is at the top of the push rod tubes (rather than the exhaust by the look of it) - what does that mean in terms of work if it is stopping a leak?

Ahh yes, thought that's what you meant If it leaks or you just don't like the look of it, it means the head needs to come off. Not a massive job and all the seals etc are available from the club (other suppliers are available) The inlet tube looks like its fully held down on the crankcase so maybe the wrong O-rings were used there? Not a big problem but definitely worth haggling over.
The price of rigids seems to be all over the place, but mainly on the up lately.
Even the nicest looking old bikes need attention sooner or later, so expect to end up working on it sometime, probably sooner, there's always something.....like the routing of a couple of cables there would make me ashamed to be seen out, as for originality it looks correct enough to me but I'm not too hot on that subject there are books to tell you what's what and few experts here too.Edited by - bjork on 03 Jan 2011 5:01:10 PMEdited by - bjork on 03 Jan 2011 5:01:55 PM
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

Model 16

Post by itma »

too expensive at 3k by far,
however it seems to be mostly right, apart from that saddle.
Persevere with it and you will get it sorted.
does it have it original reg?
mr T is a long time number plate dealer.