More Teething Problems

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
iandusud

More Teething Problems

Post by iandusud »

Having just completed the rebuild of a '56 Model 20 I've got a couple of problems. I've sorted out the oil return, but I've still got a problem with the centre stand return! for some reason the stand gets stuck half way up (or down). Is it just a case of loosening the nuts on the spindle, or am I going to loose the nuts!? Also I've got an oil leak from the dynamo to timing case joint. I fitted the cork gasket with silicon, but the screw that pulls the dynamo up agaist the timing case seems to chew it up somewhat. Any tips? Last one - the oil feed pipe is very close, ie touching, the exhaust pipe. I've even spaced the pipe out a bit from the support/spacer. Is this par for the course?

Thanks, Ian
Don Madden

More Teething Problems

Post by Don Madden »

I use a thin nut, sawing the standard one if necessary, on the gearbox L/H side, bottom stud to avoid interferance with the stand lug. I have not seen this in the books but is necessary on my bikes.

I use a large o-ring on the dyno joint as the clearance is very small. Do not tighten the stud nut more than enough the compress the gasket or it will pull out of the dyno.

Do you have the correct exhaust support on that side? They come in two lengths.

Cheers, Don.
wilko

More Teething Problems

Post by wilko »

Has the dynamo seal been replaced? They are often old and hardened? The one inside the end housing.
iandusud

More Teething Problems

Post by iandusud »

Wilko, do you mean the cork seal? If not which one?

Ian
iandusud

More Teething Problems

Post by iandusud »

Hi Don. Just checked the length of the support which is 2 7/8", which I think is the longest available. I'll try and get a suitable o-ring for the dynamo and look again at the centre stand arangement.

Ian

More Teething Problems

Post by 1608 »

I believe that the banjo/short copper pipe on the feed hose is cranked to assist the very prob you describe. If possible try reversing the banjo union.
iandusud

More Teething Problems

Post by iandusud »

1608, the banjo on this bike isn't cranked, so that would explain the prob. Thanks, Ian
wilko

More Teething Problems

Post by wilko »

There is a seal on the inside of the end housing to stop oil leeching into the innards. There is a spacer behind the gear which the seal rubs on. This is a common undetected leak.
iandusud

More Teething Problems

Post by iandusud »

Thanks Wilko, I'll look at that.

Ian