Should I fit indicators?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
rex.webb

Should I fit indicators?

Post by rex.webb »

HAND SIGNELS ??
THEY CAN WORK !! BUT the "ARM / HAND" MUST BE VISABLE TO OTHER DRIVERS !!
By this i mean an ARM BAND and BRIGHTLY
coloured GLOVES !!.
In GREY OR POOR VISABILITY WEATHER only a
"FLASHER" is of any use.
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG !.
r w webb
ianselva

Should I fit indicators?

Post by ianselva »

I am reminded how dangerous indicators can be, almost every time I go on a run there is inevitably someone riding a bike with indicators that leaves then on from one junction for miles till the next time they need to use them . I'm always expecting someone to pull out of a side road in front of them because they think they are turning.
How come you can buy a buzzer but you dont seem to be able to buy something that only indicates for a certain period of time or number of flashes.

Ian
Dick Hobart

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Dick Hobart »

I've no view on indicators - my two Japs have them and I use them, whilst my three Brits don't have them and I don't miss them! However, if it's OK to drive BMWs and Mercedes without ever resorting to the use of indicators then I'm sure we can manage!
CAB

Should I fit indicators?

Post by CAB »

I agree with Paul, if you fit indicators (and they are very useful and people expect to see them) fit a big warning light to make sure you turn them off.

I was sat at a T junction in my car wanting to turn right for quite some time, there was a gap in the traffic coming from the left that was big enough to safely get into but there was a bike approaching from my right indicating left. Mr girl friend helpfully pointed out that the bike coming from the right was turning left i.e. it wouldn't matter if I pulled out. Something told me to wait, I don't know what it was but I waited and the bike sailed merrily straight on without turning off... If I had pulled out he would have hit me side on, there was no way that he would of been able to react in time or I could have accelerated out of his way. If she had been driving rather than me then I hate to think what would have happened.

Funnily enough the same thing happened as I crossed the road at a pedestrian/cycle crossing a while ago, traffic lights were red, car coming from the left slowed to stop, the bus approaching from my right looked like it was slowing down as well so I cycled about a foot before something told me to stop. Luckily I did, the bus coming from my right sailed straight through the red light. When the bus had passed I could see the man driving the car that was coming from my left who had stopped had his hands over his eyes....

As I was told by a much more experienced rider than me a flashing indicator only means that it is working. At least his indicator was off when a car pulled out in front of him resulting in a broken leg.

CAB
cbranni

Should I fit indicators?

Post by cbranni »

I'm probably wrong or maybe I was dreaming but back in the 60's I'm sure you could get gloves with a orange lamp on the back which you switched on and off by contacts on finger and thumb, sounds so crazy today I must have been dreaming, anyone else remember them?
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
itma

Should I fit indicators?

Post by itma »

I remember them.
They didn't catch on, nor dd the quite recent idea of fitting LED flashers to gloves.
I think there is a pic somewhere in the depths of the archives
kernow kid

Should I fit indicators?

Post by kernow kid »

Hi, we fitted indicators to my fathers 1959 16MS a cpl years ago, but also fitted the handlebar switchgear from a modern bike to give the indicator switch with push to cancel. We chose Motrax 'Wibbly Wobbly' indicators (I kid you not!). They are neat, black, flexible units with nice bright bulbs..not LED but dont look too out of place on an AJ. I can post a pic if youd like to see. Dont forget you'll need to wire in an indicator flasher relay too.
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Samuel

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Samuel »

quote:
I can post a pic if youd like to see.

Yes please - I should like to consider fitting direction indicators to my 57/58 G9
Sam
bob

Should I fit indicators?

Post by bob »

I went down this route on my 1961 31 some time ago . Found some very neat jap levers and switch gear in my local bike breakers .Don,t forget you need cable front brake lever which are a little bit harder to find . Mine are from an elderly Kawasaki. They also give a good mounting for mirrors .
arsey30

Should I fit indicators?

Post by arsey30 »

I fitted these, using flat bar brackets supported from the front fork bottom yoke bolts with spacers, and the rear mudguard bolts.
The rubber mounted relay fits inside the headlamp shell, fixed to a longer shell fixing bolt.
The indicator light fitted in an old top yoke nut, drilled to suit, the switch was a period item, readily available new.

Dave.

[IMG]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... htside.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... 16MS_1.jpg[/IMG]Edited by - arsey30 on 10 Jan 2011 8:05:13 PM