Should I fit indicators?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Wild

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Wild »

Hi,

My G5 Lightweights nearing completion now and I have a question that someone may be able to help on. I never riden a classis bike, I'm used to modern stuff with indicators, so should I fit them?

I've seen classics with indicators fitted but will it ruin the bikes value if I fit them? I'm sure I'd feel safer with them rather than using hand signals, I doubt many motorists nowadays would know what I was doing if I gave them anyway.

Any advise??

regards Paul
alanengineer

Should I fit indicators?

Post by alanengineer »

I lookes at an old 500 g80 last year that was fitted with indicators. It looked so wrong. But they had been fitted using existing fixing points so they could be removed easily. If you feel concerned, its your safety that involved, maybe you should fit them.
Personally, i think a well executed hand signal is far better in daylight and if your road positioning is good, it only serves to confirm your intentions.
itma

Should I fit indicators?

Post by itma »

quote: I lookes at an old 500 g80 last year that was fitted with indicators. It looked so wrong

But not as wrong as they do squashed,
I am seriously considering fitting them to my G3LS if I ever get back on the road.

The standards of car driving in this country are now so appallingly bad I can no longer feel safe with hand signals.

I have just got hold of one of those 140 decibel Stebel horns, with a 100 watt headlamp I shall feel I can at least wake up the Audi drivers on the phone that predominates around here.
Eric

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Eric »

Whilst it may not look right the amount of traffic upon our roads today is probably three to four times the amount that was around when most of our bikes were made and hand signals were never very good anyway.

Also consider that many drivers on our roads today have never been taught hand signals or even understand what you maybe trying indicate with your arm sticking out.

Just try an arm signal when trying to negotiate a traffic roundabout with up to three lanes and you are trying to make a right turn at its third exit.

Should I fit indicators?

Post by 1608 »

Not many Audi drivers around here, more Dagenham dustbins. However, I'm also considering fitting indicators. There are some very neat LED mini lights on the market now. I too would feel safer with them, especially at night as people expect to see them. With all the recent discussion about Ins companys ducking and diving I believe its the best way to go. Safety ( and comfort ) over looks and rivet counting any day. I'm also booked in for the International and consider it a must for a trip like that.
Wild

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Wild »

Thanks for the responses,

I'm having indicators fitted, I'll let you know how we get on re choice, fitment etc. The option of buying a loom was the first choice but the easier option will be to make a loom with the wiring for the indicators incorperated.

Sorry to all the purists out there but my safety comes first.

regard Paul
paul knapp

Should I fit indicators?

Post by paul knapp »

Just make sure that you have an 'eye catching' warning light in front of you OR a buzzer to remind you to turn them off after you have negotiated the turn!...OR, even better, self cancelling ones.....Not like some of the blokes here, who, after having finished the turn and have travelled another coupla miles down the road, wake up to the fact the bloody turn indicaters are still flashing.
I personally have always thought them to be dangerous to the point that, if left on, a driver who wants to enter from a side street onto the road you are on, upon seeing the turn lights flashing, may pull out in front of you thinking that you are about to turn into the road he is coming out of.

Also, unless they are as big as a Mack truck's turn lights, they are hard to see in bright SUN shine!......................then again, perhaps that wouldn't be a problem up there.

regards,
Pablo
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Should I fit indicators?

Post by 1608 »

If you leave an indicator on inadvertantly and this causes an accident its classed as careless driving, stated case. I can't see a problem with using a horn button type switch which can't be left on by mistake. Unless anybody can think of a reason why not?
paul knapp

Should I fit indicators?

Post by paul knapp »

quote: can't see a problem with using a horn button type switch which can't be left on
Good idea, or perhaps a 'self centering' 3 position toggle switch (center off)
Paul Goff handles turn indicator parts.
The coppers here used to have high reflective covering on the back of their gloves for reflective visability, when giving hand signals back in the '60's, but the mates and myself never used them because it didn't look 'cool'.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Janet

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Janet »

I see you've already made your decision but don't forget to learn your hand signals for if the indicators fail. They do sometimes.
I learned to ride on Japanese bikes with indicators but my Brits don't have them. I wasn't riding in the days when roads were quiet and the pace was slower so I've learned to ride old bikes in modern traffic. Strangely, when I go back to the Hondas , or Guzzi, I'll often automatically use hands signals, whereas you'd think my default setting would be for the orange flashy things. I've noticed that stomping on the gear lever doesn't actually slow me down much, either.

Regarding Eric's point about signalling when turning right on 3-lane roundabouts, it's all in the timing. I learned this by riding a hand gear-change bike where I've got throttle, brake, gear and signal all with the right hand. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't a big problem. It also seems to me that where drivers sometimes don't notice indicators, they do notice a maniac wildly flapping their arms about. They may not understand what, but they do realise that you're going to do something and it's best to keep out of your way.

Hand signals aren't for everyone. You need a certain amount of assertiveness and belief in them for them to work and it's better to feel comfortable with indicators than be worrying in case your hand signals aren't seen, or you don't feel steady whilst flapping your arms about. Do what is right for you but the important thing is to get out and enjoy riding it.

Edited by - Janet on 09 Jan 2011 07:35:50 AM