Should I fit indicators?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
DWS

Should I fit indicators?

Post by DWS »

As for 'self canceling' indicators; my old Shovelhead Harleys (sorry) had a push button on the left hand switch assembly for the left indicators and one on the right hand side for the right indicators. No way can they be left on after turning and it becomes second nature after a while - push left to go left and right to go right. Two small horn style buttons is the way I'd go, and they wouldn't look out of place.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
56G80S

Should I fit indicators?

Post by 56G80S »

Arsey30 - What a smart job!

I was thinking of going this route and looked at the stuff on Paul Goff's site. I plan to take off the torpedo lights and fit the fronts there and the rears either to the rear rack or the mudguard mounting point.

I need to replace my main/dip switch and will probably go for an integrated switch from Paul. The one that's on is very old and last time out was providing its own illumination from the sparks from the short when on dip.

One thing that I think applies - correction welcome - is that if fitted they must work and meet legal requirements which I think some of the small ones actually don't.

Johnny BEdited by - 56G80S on 10 Jan 2011 9:39:33 PM
Janet

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Janet »

As said above, if they're fitted they must comply with the regulations.
Reasons for rejection in MOT are as follows
quote: 1. A direction indicator is

a. missing or obscured.

b. does not show a light of the appropriate colour

c. not working or not flashing at 60 to 120 flashes per minute, or which is affected by the operation of another lamp.

2. A "tell tale" does not function or operate correctly.
Note: if the indicators can be seen from the riding position there is no need for a "tell tail" to operate.

3. An indicator lamp
a. so damaged or deteriorated that its function is impaired.

b. insecure

4. A defective or insecure switch or one which does not operate the direction indicators on the side of the machine selected.

Eric

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Eric »

Looking at the pictures of the conversion arsey30 has done I would have almost thought they were a standard fitment for an export market or an optional extra for the home market, they look as if they were intended to be there, or at least that's my view anyway.

I am surprised that the government never made compulsory the retro fitment of indicators, until I think of some very old cars and bikes, they did make brakelights a retro fit requirement but I don't know when or for how far back, I just know my first ever bike failed its MOT because no brake light was fitted.
Janet

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Janet »

quote: I am surprised that the government never made compulsory the retro fitment of indicators, until I think of some very old cars and bikes, they did make brakelights a retro fit requirement but I don't know when or for how far back, I just know my first ever bike failed its MOT because no brake light was fitted.
With some exceptions, vehicles used after 1st January 1936 must have a brake light even if it didn't when new. The exception are:-
a. cannot exceed 25mph, or
b. was first used before 1 January I936.or
c. was first used before 1 April 1986 and which has an engine capacity of less than 50cc.

Also, it appears that bikes that don't have any lights at all (eg with daylight MOT ) don't need a stop lamp.
GOLDSTAR

Should I fit indicators?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

The government included stop lights in the MOT manual some many years ago but I've yet to find retrospective lgislation on it, the stange thing about 'daylight' mot is that all lights most either be removed or completely obscured if you have a stop light fitted then for mot purposes all lights must work, but when riding to the mot, with exceptions of course, the stop light should be fitted and working and subsequently following a successful test and useage on the road the stop light should be working, this point has been raised before and only goes to show the over egotistical potential jailbirds who sit in the mother of parliaments do not know their arse from their elbows, rant over following another one pleading guilty to fraud this morning, kind regards

oh yes original topic
good idea to fit indicators if you have the capacity any aid to safety must be a good idea.
more kind regardsEdited by - GOLDSTAR on 11 Jan 2011 1:16:53 PM
Janet

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Janet »

quote:
The government included stop lights in the MOT manual some many years ago but I've yet to find retrospective lgislation on it, Check out Schedule 1, Table II of the Road Vehicles lighting regulations. It refers to obligatory lights, which is as I stated in my previous post.
GOLDSTAR

Should I fit indicators?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

whats the year of these regs Janet? kind regardsEdited by - GOLDSTAR on 11 Jan 2011 1:56:22 PM
wilko

Should I fit indicators?

Post by wilko »

Why not leave your torpedos and use them as the indicators? Just nail polish the lenses and find another pair for the rear, off a pommy car.
itma

Should I fit indicators?

Post by itma »

quote: Why not leave your torpedos and use them as the indicators

because they would not be legal and our blind UK drivers won't see them.

The ones fitted to arseys bike are standard 1970s Triumph/BSA/ Norton Lucas units, or good repros.Edited by - itma on 11 Jan 2011 9:50:26 PM