G3 wheel

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3

G3 wheel

Post by G3 »

Hi there help needed please. I have a g3 rigid. I hVe just come toput the rear wheel on and can't for the life of me remember what order the spacers go on! Anybody have any pictures or diagrams, thanks
dave16mct

G3 wheel

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Wayne, have a look in the archives at www.archive.jampot.dk. Owners manuals etc. You don't say what year your bike is, but you should find it there. Cheers Dave.
bunners

G3 wheel

Post by bunners »

Isnt life strange, spooky even, I have just come in from the garage after two hours frustration trying to sort out the spacer location on my 46 G80 rear wheel, but alas to no avail, read this topic and thought "there is a God" after all so onto the listed archive site, but humbug all I get is gobaldy gook. so I am also still on the hunt for an illustration of spacer location, please. Edited by - bunners on 12 Jan 2011 3:47:54 PM
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
wilko

G3 wheel

Post by wilko »

If someone taught me how to draw a picture on my compute then i would oblige!
bunners

G3 wheel

Post by bunners »

Hows about a freehand sketch, and then scan it send as an attachment.
itma

G3 wheel

Post by itma »

go to the archives

1947 part list
all spacers shown, there are only 4 so I cant see the problem myself.

stepped one in fork end
short one between lug and brake plate
long one betwen hub and speedo box
axle has the other necessary on it

any thing else, something is not rightEdited by - itma on 12 Jan 2011 9:57:04 PM
bunners

G3 wheel

Post by bunners »

Ken

I have parts list, the problem I have is , I quote "the other necessary on the axle/spindle", this is threaded and therefore movable along the axle/spindle, which side does it go brake side or tother side? if I use all four there isnt enough room in between the fork ends by about 3/4" any idea what the dimension might be between the fork ends? I am wondering if perhaps they were squashed when away for grit blasting.
Rob Harknett

G3 wheel

Post by Rob Harknett »

The 1947 model was not a G3, not sure if the 1947 G3L had rear wheel speedo drive, which the G3 did not have. G3 was 1935 to 1939 inclusive. The AJS certainly had the long spacer on the r/h side, which was part of the spindle on the early models, not sure if it was loose on the 1939
bunners

G3 wheel

Post by bunners »

Rob
Does that also apply to the 1946 G80? Just out of interest where did the referance to G3L come from cant say I have seen it mentioned in this thread until now. I think I will make an AutoCad drawing of what I have perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten me what bit goes where.

p.s
Just tried Kens tips and there is not enough thread on brake end of spindle to get a nut and washer on. the spindle came from AMC classic spares as did all the spacers.
Rob Harknett

G3 wheel

Post by Rob Harknett »