G12 CSR Front Wheel Rim

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Stephenwalls

G12 CSR Front Wheel Rim

Post by Stephenwalls »

Hi,

Hopefully one of you experts can help me with some information!

I have a 1867 G12 CSR fitted with a Norton front end (Forks are definitely roadholders). The front wheel rim (WM2 19" 40 spoke) is badly corroded. The Brake Drum is 8" int Dia and I assume, also a Norton part. Is this a standard Norton Commando rim? Can anyone suggest a good supplier?

Regards

Steve
wilko

G12 CSR Front Wheel Rim

Post by wilko »

1867? Anyway yes if it's the normal fullwidth sls Norton hub. I fitted the tls brakeplate to the sls hub on a Norton featherbed ES2 without mods in the old days. [IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/ ... tra019.jpg[/IMG]
Groily

G12 CSR Front Wheel Rim

Post by Groily »

Not an expert but probably the same as on Dominators and all the other short roadholder drum brake-equipped machines?
Central Wheel Components could probably do you a rim and spokes (various qualities usually available), or talk to Les at Norvil maybe. Especially if you wanted a brake upgrade - the sls 8in Norton job is OK, but nothing like the tls Commando version which is a straight swap and comes in various versions of adornment (air scoops etc) from them. I have one on a big Enfield with Roadholders and it's transformed it.
OTOH, if you want to stay sls as original and your brake is tired or tatty, send me a PM as I have a good-as-new one with very near-new linings lying around doing nothing and looking for a new home!
Stephenwalls

G12 CSR Front Wheel Rim

Post by Stephenwalls »

quote:
1867? Anyway yes if it's the normal fullwidth sls Norton hub. I fitted the tls brakeplate to the sls hub on a Norton featherbed ES2 without mods in the old days. [IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/ ... tra019.jpg[/IMG]

Yes that's right! First registered in 1967. I assume it took a while to sell all the bikes after the factory closed.

thanks for the advice

Steve
Stephenwalls

G12 CSR Front Wheel Rim

Post by Stephenwalls »

quote:
Not an expert but probably the same as on Dominators and all the other short roadholder drum brake-equipped machines?
Central Wheel Components could probably do you a rim and spokes (various qualities usually available), or talk to Les at Norvil maybe. Especially if you wanted a brake upgrade - the sls 8in Norton job is OK, but nothing like the tls Commando version which is a straight swap and comes in various versions of adornment (air scoops etc) from them. I have one on a big Enfield with Roadholders and it's transformed it.
OTOH, if you want to stay sls as original and your brake is tired or tatty, send me a PM as I have a good-as-new one with very near-new linings lying around doing nothing and looking for a new home!

Thanks Groily,

Good call! I'll look out for a tls break. The old girl could do with some help stopping. As I've already dismantled all the spokes I think I need to concentrate on the new rim first.

Cheers

Steve