Tap & Die Sets

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
DWS

Tap & Die Sets

Post by DWS »

For those of you 'in the know' please excuse my ignorance...

If I was to buy a tap and die set for general use on my 1950 G3L, what should I be looking for? I have seen sets described as Imperial or Whitworth or UNF/UNC. What should I get?
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
wilko

Tap & Die Sets

Post by wilko »

Mostly cycle threads and BSF.
Malleon

Tap & Die Sets

Post by Malleon »

Plus 1/4" and 5/16" Whitworth, Dave.
itma

Tap & Die Sets

Post by itma »

whitworth cycle thread or Bscy is what you want.

If possible build up a set piece-meal from older British made stuff, you'll be sorry otherwise the first time a cheap one breaks off.

Warrior , or LAL are good old brands,

I recommend Tracey tools in Devon if you want to go to a set, they know what the are talking about and have been around for years.

did the pdf come out ok inthe end?
Edited by - itma on 22 Jan 2011 12:07:06 PM
Eric

Tap & Die Sets

Post by Eric »

As Ken suggests don't buy a set get the tap wrench & die set then just a few of the most common taps & dies.

There are almost no Whitworth threads on our bikes its nearly always British Standard Cycle (BSC) or where studs go into aluminium British Standard Fine (BSF)

So unless you plan to be very ambitious I would suggest: - BSC 3/16", 1/4", 5/16, and if funds permit 3/8".

BSF probably just 5/16" at a pinch 3/8" but I cant think where that would be used yet.

1/4 BSF and 1/4" BSC have the same thread pitch (TPI) of 26, but a different flank angle, BSC is 60 degrees BSF 55 degress but with a little persuasion they will interchange.

There are of course always variations to the rules and you never know what a previous owner may have done or used.

Tap & Die Sets

Post by 1608 »

Whist on this subject, can anybody tell me what the Dia and TPI is for the dynamo draw bolt on twins please.
Thanks
GOLDSTAR

Tap & Die Sets

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I've found MAX T a very affable and reasonably priced supplier for many of the taps and dies I have aquired, he also has a comp AMC bike, my suggestion would be to purchase HSS and not carbon steel, kind regards
Groily

Tap & Die Sets

Post by Groily »

Would just add that for any bike of our era some BA stuff is good, for dynamos/mags. I don't have a single of the marque (tho' I have a single or two) but 0BA, 2BA and 4BA and maybe 1BA are to be found.
Tracy Tools are the D's Bs IMHO too, for HSS as for carbon. Have yet to find anything they haven't been able to supply. Some of their 'specials' are a cheap way of getting more than you'll ever need. When am I ever going to use the Inch BSF tap and die they sent me in some special-priced set???
Also maybe consider BSP for fuel fittings if you're going there . . .?
BigAl350

Tap & Die Sets

Post by BigAl350 »

MAX-T Engineering website for BSC stuff is here:
http://www.max-t.co.uk/tapsAndDies/26TPIBSCYHSS.html

I can concur with Goldstar, good stuff and not hugely expensive.

Being a Lightweight owner, a tap and die set is very much required to overcome 50 years of previous owners banging any old bolt (or self-tapper or woodscrew) into threads...

Al
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
DWS

Tap & Die Sets

Post by DWS »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info, really useful. There are a number of grease nipples around the bike (headstock, hubs etc.) what threads are these?
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register