half-moon hairpin tool

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
uktom77

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by uktom77 »

Hello,

Searched forum but haven't managed to find an answer to this one!

First restoration for me and engine was in bits when bought (1956 G3LS), so I haven't seen what the hairpin springs look like in situe. Can anyone supply a photo -- please, it would really help!

Have borrowed the half-moon tool, have new (Jampot spares) springs and the old, 'tray' open type seat for them. Have tried today to get them in but the springs sit so high just getting it all under the tool is proving tricky.

I've read on the forum that people have done them by hand!!! Am I missing something, I can't even do them with the tool.

Is there a knack? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? All comments (helpful ones anyway) welcomed.

Tom
bjork

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by bjork »

That sounds like mine were when they were new. I got round it by compressing the spring in a vice then tieing it in that position with lockwire. That allows you to get the half moon tool over the assembly and release the wire when the tool has taken the strain.
Sorry I don't have any pics. Have you been along to your local section yet? You may get the info or offer of help there.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
uktom77

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by uktom77 »

Trying to do this without asking for yet more help from the others at my local section. They are very helpful and that's where I borrowed the tool.

Had considered trying to compress and tie them prior but thought there must be a knack or something I'm missing.

Do you know which spring goes over which? Sounds silly but the way the hand drawn diagram I have looks, it won't actually work.
wilko

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by wilko »

I do remember they must face a certain way or they just touch the rocker boxes causing a mysterious ticking noise. It's been a long time since i assembled mine but remembered this tip!
itma

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by itma »

listen carefully i shall say zis only vunce.

forget the horseshoe tool,its useless and use the spade.

springs are handed and the narrow one goes inside the wide one obviously.
1st make sure the bottom plates are correct, if you have a circlip on the guide then there should be a recess under the plate for it.

put collar over valve stick collets on with heavy grease, pull coller up tight;

narrow spring first, insert into shovel, put a 5/16 screw or bolt through hole in shovel thru spring loop;
next, loop spring under collar,then, bending your middle finger under the shovels press down with the ball of your thumb,as you do lifting the bottom legs of the spring onto and into the bottom plate press hard and it's done; repeat with other side.

you will note when assembled that the wider spring should be away from the inside of the rocker box. Its obvious by loking at it that it will be perilously near the casting.
Pull them off and repeat if necessary the practice will do you good.
its far easier to show you, it takes seconds, might have left something out but its as good as you'll get this time of night.
Just be sure the collets are properly seated in the stem grooves, a light tap on the end of the stem will ensure they are seated.
DWS

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by DWS »

Shovel? Spade? Am I missing something here?
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
uktom77

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by uktom77 »

That sounds like the advice I was looking for! Cheers. Need to get me the other tool and give it a go.

Just as soon as I get the time/tool I shall give it a go.

Cheers
itma

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by itma »

quote: Shovel? Spade? Am I missing something here?

about 3 glasses, its was too late for pedantry
DWS

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by DWS »

As I am about to remove the springs/valves from my G3L head, I was wondering if it could be done without a 'half moon' tool? What size shovel should I use?
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
itma

half-moon hairpin tool

Post by itma »

to remove them you only need fingers.

the size of shovel you will need later depends on the number of uncounted rivets that drop out, if you are just a moderate rivet counter an ordinary coal shovel will do, however I suspect a JCB may, at times, be more suited to some people