Cylinder base plate seal

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
RUSHTON

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by RUSHTON »

On my 350 G3L I Am refitting the cylinder compression plate to the crankcase and the gasket set I have has only one paper seal. When I removed the compression plate there were jointing seals on both sides.
The manual says take paper seal and to smear jointing compound on one side only and fit to crankcase.
This would leave the cylinder and compression plate without an oil tight seal surely?
What is the recommended method?
I would have been inclined to make another seal and put seals on both sides of the compression plate.
Any help would be appreciated. RR
itma

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by itma »

recommended method is the factory advice surely?

but then again I always wipe each side of both gaskets with wellseal.
If I feeling righteous I just use grease.
wilko

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by wilko »

Why not throw the plate and get rid of that sidevalve power!
legg

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by legg »

I can remember putting a gasket on both sides of the compression plate when I owned a '51 G80. Didn't realise (at the time) that you could leave the plate out!
wilko

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by wilko »

All that power you're missing out of! It does make a difference.
iandusud

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by iandusud »

Don't remove the compression plate if there is the slightest ridge at the top of the barrel. Also as there was a gasket on either side of the plate when you dismantled it you should reassemble it with two gaskets for the above reason. If however you've got no lip whatsoever then I would follow Wilco's advice, assuming the plate is not particularly thick and that the bottom end is in good condition.

Ian
MikeM.

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by MikeM. »

Should you decide to remove thebase plate you will also have to take into account the pushrod tube rubber gaskets on the top of the tubes.
These will need to be shortened by the same thickness of the plate (approximately 1/16" I think) otherwise the tops of the tube will collapse inwards due to the rubber gaskets being over compressed.
RUSHTON

Cylinder base plate seal

Post by RUSHTON »

Thanks for all your advice fellas:-
I know you can leave the plate out, but I am not inclined to do that, even though there is no bore wear. The manual is explicit in what parts to remove if you leave out the plate. So I have decided to make another paper seal and let Hylomar take care of the leaks - being new to working on motorcycle engines I just wanted to see if in the light of 68 years since it was made there have been any advances on what the 1941 manual says - apparently not!!