16MS exhaust query

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
middleton1

16MS exhaust query

Post by middleton1 »

I've posted a photo of the exhaust pipe from my 53 16MS. Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Nigel
ianselva

16MS exhaust query

Post by ianselva »

I dont quite understand what youre asking.
it looks like it has a slot in the side and a plate welded over the end as a baffle . It looks like the plate is too close to the end of the pipe. Get the slot welded up and just perforate the end plate with a drill.
middleton1

16MS exhaust query

Post by middleton1 »

There are 4 slots located around one side of the pipe only and it's one of the strips between the slots that has detached itself. Anyone know what the purpose of the slots is? The end plate is fixed in 2 places. I wondered if a previous owner had at some point modified the pipe.
paul knapp

16MS exhaust query

Post by paul knapp »

The slots are to let the exhaust gas out since the end of the pipe has been capped!
Forcing the gas out sideways into the silencer box tends to muffle the sound of the exhaust.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Eric

16MS exhaust query

Post by Eric »

AMC used different forms of adding a baffle system to their silencers one was very similar if not the same as in your photograph, four slots toward the end of an otherwise plain capped pipe.

Another method did exactly the same thing but used holes instead of the slots.

I once set eyes upon an original pipe for a 500 twin this had four rows of 4 holes where each hole was 7/16" dia and the centres of each hole were offset to the centres of each hoe in the adjacent rows.

I think the hole system came later than the slots, probably because it was easier to do.

Both ideas provide a simplistic method of providing baffles that were considered adequate for silencing at the time.

The end cap was just that, a blank cap and had no holes in it.Edited by - Eric on 22 Feb 2011 1:53:05 PM