Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Gerard Harrison

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Is the view worth the climb? (so to speak)

I have my Smiths Drive pulled apart (Norton wheel assembly) part number BG5330/257

The gears look fine....the studs on the ring are in great shape I would need tiny little rivets or screws to re-attach the drive-ring retaining dish/plate that was already detached

The brass threaded collar for the cable nut was loose and I pried it the rest of the way out of the remainder of the press-fit...

would a good cleaning and a 5 ton epoxy bond do the same job as the collar's press-fit did('nt)??

or am I better served finding a repop in lieu of a NOS unit?

I am no fan of wrapping a cable around the wheel/axle if I can avoid it and I don't know which option improves my chances of avoiding a future rear wheel lock-up

Regards
GerardEdited by - Gerard Harrison on 28 Feb 2011 7:20:51 PMEdited by - Gerard Harrison on 28 Feb 2011 7:21:58 PM
TommoT

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Post by TommoT »

I have done exactly what you propose, but in my case the retaining ring was a press fit and has stayed in place for many thousands miles.

The problem with repros, as usual, is quality. On another bike I had one repro pack up after a few hundred miles, so I gave up and spent a few months finding an original part. Yes, I actually found one in original the original package, and it has of course served me well for many years now.

So in short, keep the original part if at all possible!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Gerard Harrison

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Hey Tommo, glad to hear that you have managed to salvage one back into useful service

I thoroughly cleaned out the gears and housing on mine since all were in pretty decent shape.

I mixed up some 5 ton Epoxy and reset the brass collar that retains the cylindrical cable drive gear into the housing, I am hoping the vestiges of the collar's 2 knurled strips with the epoxy will suffice to hold the gear in

I packed the thing with grease and installed the ring gear. Last stage will be to find 4 of some sort of tiny rivets or screws to reattach the stepped washer/plate into the assembly that serves to center the ring gear

Yes I have read countless testimonials on the repop Drives that re-inforce the notion that they are devoid of quality or longevity....so I'll give this rehab a stab

NOS Smiths Drives for Tachs and Speedometers are reaching stratospheric pricing.....as are any sort of new-original Lucas switches, rectifiers and such

My motor rebuild is near completion.....

next is the potential chamber of horrors otherwise known as the transmission

Edited by - Gerard Harrison on 08 Mar 2011 08:32:51 AMEdited by - Gerard Harrison on 08 Mar 2011 08:47:18 AM
rex.webb

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Post by rex.webb »

Nice countryside in the picture if thats where you going riding.
ride with Care and Live long
r w webb
Gerard Harrison

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

quote:
Nice countryside in the picture if thats where you going riding.
ride with Care and Live long

Actually I believe that is your countryside....my wife inherited a bunch of old oils from her parents' estate a few years back.

She did not much appreciate my commandeering the table for post-powdercoat assembly of the bike as a contribution to the artistic decor of the family room...we have divergent aesthetics
SPRIDDLER

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
...my wife inherited a bunch of old oils from her parents' estate a few years back.

And so will the beneficiaries of my estate. Cool!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Gerard Harrison

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

quote:
quote:
...my wife inherited a bunch of old oils from her parents' estate a few years back.

And so will the beneficiaries of my estate. Cool!

<laughing> the only old oils I have are in cans on shelves in the garage...and of course on the garage floor
Don Madden

Speedometer Drive Rehab?

Post by Don Madden »

The location of the bike makes conversation more difficult, a plus or minus depending on family dynamics. Cheers, Don.