Weedy front brake

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
The Sinful Optomist

Weedy front brake

Post by The Sinful Optomist »

Can anyone suggest a twin leading shoe front hub that would fit on my 1962 g3 forks please? I know I shouldn't expect too much, but I had a very very near miss today on a steep downhill, and as there are lots of those round ere, some bigger stoppers are needed. And yes, Ive had a tinker with the existing brakes, cleaned, sanded etc, and they look fine, and work ok on the flat, but Ive grown fond of my life over time!

And, just out of curiosity, (and if I became unfathomably rich) would the grimeca 4LS hub fit?

http://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/230mm_Hub.html

Cheers!
As good with bikes as I am with spelling.
rayswadling

Weedy front brake

Post by rayswadling »

I've posted pictures of the initial arrangement for fitting a BSA/Triumph 8" TLS brake into my 1961 650.
The description of how I have carried out the install should come up if you search for "TLS".

There is also a 7" TLS brake used on the smaller BSA/Triumphs.

Broadly speaking, I had the wheel spindle extended to get a better clamping action on the fork caps and the torque arm is in compression.

I know this has caused some comments about safety, but research showed the KR500 Kawasaki GP bike used a torque arm in compression (and for anti-dive) and just about every recent and current bike with a rear brake caliper above the swingarm uses a torque arm in compression.

So I'm happy with the arrangement.

Cheers,

Ray.
alfie

Weedy front brake

Post by alfie »

Have a look on the parts photos, im sure i have seen an article on how to do a mod for twin teading shoes
alfie

Weedy front brake

Post by alfie »

Yep, just looked, page 4 ;-)
alfie

Weedy front brake

Post by alfie »

Post war singles quote:
Yep, just looked, page 4 ;-)
The Sinful Optomist

Weedy front brake

Post by The Sinful Optomist »

Thanks for the advice, but cant find the right page on the site, it just looks like modern enduros? anyone point me to the obvious im overlooking?
As good with bikes as I am with spelling.