Timing marks I'm rather odd

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks James.
Next week it'll be a year since the crunch and not sure whether it's out of my system yet as I've been looking at trikes and quad bikes that I don't have balance when stopped but at least enable me to ride in the wind and rain. Yep, I must be daft.
I still have to use a crutch. It should be two crutches but I only have one useable arm and a leg which is about as much use as a drain plug in a tin chaincase.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

In the words of the immortal Biscuit that should be pressed steel.
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Post by itma »

don't be tinnist Merlin
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Past your bedtime call matron
Chemists do it with test tubes
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Update on my poor slow running problem and valve timing.
checked the timing of the cams using a timing disc and found no real problem with the timing it seems to be timed as a 1945 -53 500cc. I've only done 100 miles with the new rebore and piston so is tight also found a real tight spot in the primary chain so backed it off. I slowed the engine up usinf the advance / retard and tuned in the carb to keep it running with full retard. Spent three hours this afternoon running between Dover and Sandwich to put some miles on the bore. Now running reasonably well when I pull up as long as I retard the ignition. I broke a spoke in the rear wheel - stainless I'm going to change them all for steel ones. why do people use stainless spokes as they are not suitable for motorcycles unless they are straight and not cold formed 90 degrees to fit cotton reels. Stainless work hardens and cracks, vibration can also cause this to happen.

George