My G5 Dilemma

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
MoggyW

My G5 Dilemma

Post by MoggyW »

Hello all

I have recently become the proud owner of a very shiny 1960 G5. It runs well, and I love the handling, just seems to need a bit of tweaking here and there because I don't think it has been ridden much since an overhaul, but overall is in very good nick.

I have a few questions, since I don't have any experience with a Matchless, however there is one burning problem:

I am only F5'3, pretty light and female (lol yes we are wonderful but we do have limitations - please no more comments!), and I sometimes have real trouble starting it. 60% of the time I can start it first kick, but when I can't, I really can't - kick after kick nothing happens! I can't get enough of a kickover, and then it gets harder and harder and less likely to start at all. I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with the bike because my other half (or anyone else bigger than me for that matter) can get it past this stage by being very manly repeatedly with it!

I have tried using the decompressor but can't seem to get the knack/it doesn't help, I am considering electronic ignition, but does anyone have any hints on how to set up the engine or actual starting tips to give myself the best chance of starting it every time. Will it get better as it gets more run in? Or will I forever be stranded in more and more embarrassing places?!

Other than this I am really starting to love riding it and working on it, as long as it's already running and doesn't stall!!

Cheers for reading,

Moggy
itma

My G5 Dilemma

Post by itma »

Its your technique luv .......................

its a matter of how and when you kick that matters, if you search for starting a single there is a long missive there wot was writ by me for such this event.

If you can't find it I shall be back later with it but me teas on the table.

Oh and leave the choke alone me duck, thats the quite pretty little chrome lever on the right that doesnt work the brake
pull it towrds you and forget it
cbranni

My G5 Dilemma

Post by cbranni »

Welcome Moggy..............to start mine from cold
Bike on centre stand
Clutch in and kickstart it to free the clutch
Ignition on
Petrol on
3 tickles on the tickler
Full choke
1/4 throtle
One good swing on kickstart and she bursts into life, and I'm a 9 stone weakling
Dont worry about being embarrassed, practice makes perfect, keep at it
Colin

(Choke works for me)Edited by - cbranni on 30 May 2011 6:48:43 PM
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

My G5 Dilemma

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Moggy. Practice. It's a knack. Like swimming or riding a bike. It'll come.
Assuming it's correctly adjusted.
Don't despair, you've already perfected the knack of getting the other half to do it for you.
quote:
I am only F5'3, pretty light and female
Our much travelled Janet, another Lightweight (as in Lightweight bike) owner, who, like you, is also about 5' 3", pretty, light, and female, may be along shortly. Stand back!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Merlin

My G5 Dilemma

Post by Merlin »

Don't call me shortly
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

My G5 Dilemma

Post by itma »

how to start a G5 single.
tickle carb
open choke fully
depress the kick start pedal a couple times listening for the suck from the carb.
the next time you fell the "bump" of compression, use the decompressor to ease the engine gently over TDC, bring pedal back up and administer the traditional long swinging kick; the engine should start.
Thats a kick not a poofy jab sliding your foot off cos you are scared of getting bitten; keep your knee bent, not straight, and if it kicks back it wont hurt.
It has nothing to do with the strength of ones kick, its technique.
When I want to be really flash I can push off down an incline and start the thing while rolling.
If I were you I'd clean or change the plug before the next attempt, bound to be mucky by now

bob

My G5 Dilemma

Post by bob »

Welcome moggy
My bikes allways start first kick when cold , but when warm I sometimes mistakenly flood the engine by tickling the carb when not really needed ,
At this stage just keeping on kicking will not work unless you wind the throttle full open when you kick .
MoggyW

My G5 Dilemma

Post by MoggyW »

Lol thanks all, I'll try to steer clear of the poofy jabs, and I never need choke or very much tickling anyway. I think they all have their foibles, hopefully I'll get used to mine without getting launched into the air and down the driveway many more times!

I'm definitely going to persevere, I'll see how I feel after my jaunt to the IoW this weekend, and yes I will be taking several people more manly than myself so hopefully I won't get stuck kicking over and over and over, but then again, new hips come free on the NHS don't they!?
itma

My G5 Dilemma

Post by itma »

IoW?
where are you?
SideValve

My G5 Dilemma

Post by SideValve »

Just a thought - check the advance & retard mechanism is sound. The backplate on my G2 was loose on the spindle so sometimes the timing was good and sometimes it could be up to about 15 degrees out.
Peter W