Just bought this

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
itma

Just bought this

Post by itma »

at the risk of being a nagger, the riding position on your bike is just asking for trouble and lack of control in such circumstances.
z1100r

Just bought this

Post by z1100r »

which bike..?? I was on a std 1100 kawasaki when i went over....not the Matchless. Anyroad, it was my own fault, I just didn't look at what I was braking on. I was practically stationary at the time.
itma

Just bought this

Post by itma »

I mos 'umbly beg yer pudden
I am fixated on Matchless motorcycles, anything else is more or less under the radar
z1100r

Just bought this

Post by z1100r »

No problemlo..haha .. I am just a bike lover in general, and have had most bikes of all types. The only bikes not on my radar are BMW.

I've had 2-stroke and 4-stroke race bikes, I've had road singles and multi's of Japanese, Italian and Brit manufacture. Never had anything German, my grandfather wouldn't approve., I think they are horible looking things anyway.

There is one bike I have never had or ridden.... but do aim to try one.... and thats a Harley or a big Indian.Edited by - z1100r on 22 Jun 2011 11:26:18 AM
bigwol

Just bought this

Post by bigwol »

Sorry to hear about your spill, i broke my collar bone, scapula and 2 ribs a few years back and know what you are going through!
Welcome to the club, am pretty new here myself.
just a thought, if you spun the front wheel round to get the brake plate on the correct side is the tyre rotation correct? May be some thing for you to look at when you are out of that sling!
It's all just riding motorbikes
bigwol

Just bought this

Post by bigwol »

PS, the honda looks great, (sorry ITMA!) I had a '79 550 k3 from new and used it as my main form of transport for about 6 years. great little bike.
It's all just riding motorbikes
z1100r

Just bought this

Post by z1100r »

Thanks Bigwol, I am a serious fan of that little Honda. I 've had it along time - very early eighties - and totally abused it until early this year when I decided it was time.

As regards the tyre thing, well if anything I've actually put it back to how it was originally in 1952.....its the same tyre from the bike being new...its never been changed. I dont think they had direction of rotation marks then anyway did they...?
Samuel

Just bought this

Post by Samuel »

quote:
.....its the same tyre from the bike being new...its never been changed. I dont think they had direction of rotation marks then anyway did they...?

then the tyre is well past its use-by date then - look carefully for hardening and perishing as these may cause failure ...
Sam
z1100r

Just bought this

Post by z1100r »

The tyre is hopeless, I'm going to throw it away asap. Its surface is rock hard and looks like crazy paving. Be a while now before I can jump on it again though.
As it happens I'm on my Hols for 3 weeks starting Friday and will be on our narrowboat cruising down to London and back up the Thames. Hopefully collar bone etc will be Ok by the time we get back and I can start on it again.
itma

Just bought this

Post by itma »

run down the Kennet and Avon and say hello