AJS LF Model 18 Military Model?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
AJ69

Post by AJ69 »

Good day Gents, I purchased a 1965 Model AJS Model 18 Statesman out of a deceased some years back and was never really able to identify the full history.
The bike is very original with 3200 miles on the clock however it is green in colour with military type saddle bags(similar to the 1965 18I in the jampot photo archives). The engine no number is 18/134679 and on the right hand side under the cylinder it has LF I 8008 stamped on it. I was advised that the LF could possibly stand for "Land Forces" but have asked our friend google search engine without success. Does anyone know if AJS (AMC) was commissioned to sell a few of these marks to any Military Forces anywhere?
It also has large extra spotlights and horns (could be an extra put on by the last collector).
Any advice or help would really be appreciated. Many thanks
Marty

Post by Marty »

I know that Rhodesia had late model singles. I know of one in Australia and one in New Zealand both that both came from there.
Marty
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I also know that Rhodesia also had late model, special order police bikes designated "G80CSR". They had scrambler engines in a touring chassis. There is at least one survivor in Canada. Cheers, Don.
AJ69

Post by AJ69 »

Gents thank you very much for your input. Rhodesia makes sense.Just wish I could find more info from an ex "when we" from that era or anything for that matter.
How does one ever put a value on a machine like this. At the moment its sentimental value as it was passed over to my by my father who purchased it from the late Mendells estate in South Africa. Thanks again for your feedback. rgs Allan
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Allan, if you haven't already done so, have a look at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wd-prewar-ajandmatchless/

Someone there may be able to help out...
Corners like a Lego man