1955 G3Ls Export model (Portugal).

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
petey

Post by petey »

I bought this in the Algarve 30 years ago, has since stood at back of garage; yes, I do take my time a bit. First startup last month, plenty of smoke of course, but good compression and not too many rattles. But due to Exxon Valdez style oil slicks everywhere have taken engine and gearbox out to have closer look. Bike was found sans gearbox but I found one in junkyard near Albufeira, number is
M 352652. What is is, Burman or Amc ?, and from which period ?
It leaks from drive side oil seal, and both kickstart and its shaft
have munched up splines. A quick look at jampot spares confirmed fears of horrendous parts prices.
Any help or suggestions appreciated. Incidentally. engine number is 55 G3Ls 28128 and speedo reads 39540 kilometres.
By the way, I live 20 minutes from Amsterdam; grubby weekend, anyone?
Obviously a referral to greasy hands, what were you thinking!
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Hi Peter,
You know of course that there is also a Dutch AJS/Matchless vereniging? (www.ajs-matchless.nl).
You should have a Burman B52 gearbox, these have totally different markings (just search in the old messages for details of their meaning). A quick distinction: the B52 gear indicator has a rotating drum with numbers while the AMC box uses a moving indicator tip. There must also be many pictures here were you can see the difference.
Albert (in de Betuwe)