non returning kick start

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bigwol

non returning kick start

Post by bigwol »

Hi guys, I am having trouble trying to get the kick start on my model 31 to return. I have tried 2 replacement springs and it seems to me that the return spring works fine but it's the gear box cover guide/bush/seal tight on the shaft thats giving me the problems. Is this a common fault/problem? Any suggestions?
It's all just riding motorbikes

non returning kick start

Post by 1608 »

Could be bent k/start shaft or cracked end of shaft or bush.
bigwol

non returning kick start

Post by bigwol »

Yes i guessed the shaft would be the next port of call. no sign of damage to either the end of the shaft or the bush. If i fit the kickstart and turn her over by hand (with the plugs out, no incredible hulk me!) it returns ok, it's when i fit the cover and put her all back together that straight away everything tightens up. Have to put up with it till the winter then go for a gear box strip i guess.
itma

non returning kick start

Post by itma »

you could try moving the end of the spring in the inner case to the right, you will need to drill another hole.
assuming AMC box of course
bigwol

non returning kick start

Post by bigwol »

already 2 holes in it itma, but yes think i might just get a little more on the spring if i drill another lol. I used to have a spring fitting tool i made up for getting the springs that held my lads exhaust on his Aprillia RS125 in place, but can't find the damn thing anywhere. The perils of sharing a garage (and my tools) with my lad who also knows his way round a socket set! (shame he can't put anything back where he finds it!)
itma

non returning kick start

Post by itma »

I have the same trouble despite the extra hole, I think a heavy pattern kick start might be part of the problem.

non returning kick start

Post by 1608 »

Its usually the other way round, kids losing Dad's tools.
anyway, since dropping my G12 on a french round a bout my kickstart has started to retract slightly when pulling away in 1st gear. When changing into 2nd the k/start returns to its rest position. Somebody suggested this is symptomatic of bent shaft or damaged end of shaft or bush. In Christians archives there is a rebuild of an AMC box ( Norton I believe) detailing this problem and apparently this damage was more common to the Nortons due to increase of power.
bigwol

non returning kick start

Post by bigwol »

I have a folding kickstart fitted itma, not the standard one so maybe that's it. I have an old solid one somewhere so may try that.
Yes 1608, it is my kid using my tools and losing or not replacing them! It's my Lad i share my garage with, not my Dad, who unfortunately is no longer with us but would have loved to have seen me get started on my fledgling collection. He had a Dominator and a Greaves 250 tracker in his day.
bigwol

non returning kick start

Post by bigwol »

BTW 1608 sorry to hear you dropped the G12, hope there was not too much damage. Thanks for the heads up on the archive article, i'm sure to find that one useful!

non returning kick start

Post by 1608 »

Funny how everyone always asks how the bike fared and not poor old me! only kidding.