siezed big end?!!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Janet

siezed big end?!!

Post by Janet »

quote:
oh well, i'm learning i did 650 miles on it and was last on the road in 1976 so it's to be expected i think.Not really unless it was taken off the road because the crank ( or whatever has broken ) was suspect. Having said that, it's always sensible to do a few gentle runs to find out what may be wrong with an old bike when you get it. Of course, that advice doesn't help you now but it could help someone else.
itma

siezed big end?!!

Post by itma »

quote: i9 think it was preferable to an NVQ in motor mechanics

why dont you get yourself a spare engine, theres lots about, and dismantle that one first rather than bugger up the one in your bike, at worst you'll have two dud engines, at best you'll have one or one and a half decent ones and have gained double experience, cos everyone will have died of a different disease.
Justin350

siezed big end?!!

Post by Justin350 »

I think that woulds be the practical option, i don't suppose you know where i could look for such engines? also i have the issue of having a motorcycle licence and no car licence. and the old girls a tad worse for ware
JustinFWood
Merlin

siezed big end?!!

Post by Merlin »

and the old girls a tad worse for ware

Aren't they all at our age.Edited by - Merlin on 18 Aug 2011 2:39:28 PM
Chemists do it with test tubes
aobp11

siezed big end?!!

Post by aobp11 »

Could the cause be a change to modern detergent oil? Or would a blocked oil circuit first ruin the piston?
Albert
itma

siezed big end?!!

Post by itma »

Justin350

siezed big end?!!

Post by Justin350 »

it was the cage from the bearing. . . i think. wrapped it's self around the big end bearing. nearly ready for the rebuild now thanks for the help guys.
JustinFWood