fork drain plug

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
jim carlow

fork drain plug

Post by jim carlow »

Hello all, thought I'd check the oil content of the front forks last weekend .(57 G9) Right side drain plug unscrewed easily, but left side I can't budge. Screw head is a bit worse for wear, but I ground a large screwdriver to fit quite well but no luck. I tapped it with a light hammer, gently warmed the ali leg a little but said plug is still in there as tight as ever. What do I try now chaps ?
Jim
Jim

fork drain plug

Post by 1608 »

Impact screwdriver or hammer and punch after warming - up. Short of that working, remove leg and drill out very carefully.Perhaps the safest method would be to apply good steady pressure with the good screw driver whilst an apprentice uses the hammer and punch at the same time, bet that shifts it.Edited by - 1608 on 16 Aug 2011 12:16:38 PM
jim carlow

fork drain plug

Post by jim carlow »

Thanks 1608, I did wonder about an impact driver, have to see if I can beg steal or borrow one ! Don't know why it's so tight though, must have been Sampson who screwed it in.
Jim
Jim
Marchless

fork drain plug

Post by Marchless »

Hi Jim I had to use a large drift on the screw head.This jars the thread.Mine came undone with a large screwdriver the type you can put a spanner on the shaft .Hope this helps..Did you sort out your handle bars ?.Marcus (Sunny Margate)
GOLDSTAR

fork drain plug

Post by GOLDSTAR »

can I make a suggestion? when you have successfully remove said stud, on replacement smear a little copper slip or similar on the theads, just remember the fork legs alloy and the stud should be steel, kind regards
jim carlow

fork drain plug

Post by jim carlow »

Thanks for input everyone.
No Marcus, I bought new bars, they're quite cheap, but there's not much difference, new ones are a bit wider thats all. Oh and a lot shinier. Don't know the answer to that one,
interesting tho.
Jim

fork drain plug

Post by 1608 »

Have you removed that screw yet, Jim.
jim carlow

fork drain plug

Post by jim carlow »

not yet 1608, just had my impact driver delivered, good old ebay !
Jim
Jim
jim carlow

fork drain plug

Post by jim carlow »

Sorry fogot to finish this one off.
Using new impact driver and right sized bit, came out straight away.
What a bloody mavellous tool. probably never use it again !
Jim