Dynamo Commutator Connections

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I've not read all this thread, but, on one of my bikes the previous owner had used bullet connectors on the dynamo & CVC insted of hollow connectors. I only discovered this when my dynamo failed, on a journey. The bullets were loose fitting and oxidised. Nipping them oval made them a tight push fit, problem solved. It was ages before I eventualy got more hollow conectors to make a proper job of the wiring.
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Reading between segments 7 ohm?? Check your meter and the test leads first, because this can hardly be true.
Said by heart (it's certainly somwhere in the old messages) between adjacent segments 0.1-0.2 Ohm and between opposite segments 0.6 Ohm or so.
Albert
fump

Post by fump »

Thank you gentlemen........it is definately the Dynamo and not the CVC. The Dynamo only puts out millivolts between earth and the D and F terminal with the D and F connected.
Thanks for the information Albert
Yes you are quite right I should have said about 7 ohms across opposite segments of the commutator. Which is an improvement on what I originally had, but obviously not anywhere near low enough! Also I did a couple of Ohm readigs just now between adjacent segments and got variable readings for instance one was 0.9 ohm and one 45 Ohms so something has changed since I re-installed the Dynamo in the bike. Looks like I need another one. Bugger!
Inthe meantime I will just keep charging the battery via the 230AC and using the headlight only a little.Edited by - fump on 12 Feb 2012 12:13:13 AM
wilko

Post by wilko »

I recently pulled one apart where the field winding was a loose fit! never seen it before, The core was tight but the winding around it was loose?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have had a problem with my dynamo which I only rebuilt last year with a new armature from Dave Lindsey, m y mate who was once the chief electrical enginer at one of the pwer stations diagnose a problem with the commutator connections, Dave Lindsey to be fair was prepared to exchange it but had no replacements at the time and was having difficulty sourcing any because his normal supplier had retired, VMCC didnt have one so eventually I got onto 'FEKED' who supplied me with'I'm told' a genuine British one, £70 odd quid in all, dynamo rebuilt again but awaits to be fittedm old armature dismantled found two segmen ts adrift cause I'm also told, wire to tight when soldered. 'arry its a damn pain ,kind regards

For you Clint,
JOIN THIS CLUB.
think what else it can do for you.Edited by - GOLDSTAR on 12 Feb 2012 08:52:49 AM
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I once built up a dynamo from bits I had laying about, it worked a treat, I used the bike daily for work, as my car had got written off. After 2 weeks the dynamo stopped working, when I took the band off to investigate it looked like it was full of gold dust. Every segment had come off.
fump

Post by fump »

Judging by some of the prices I have seen mentioned here for old Dynamos they may actually have gold dust in them!
wilko

Post by wilko »

Overcharging will certainly throw off solder from the commutator and the heat will kill everything else inside it!
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

quote:
Rob: ...on one of my bikes the previous owner had used bullet connectors on the dynamo & CVC insted of hollow connectors.

Hi Rob. What do you mean by hollow connectors? Still need to get round to rewiring my bike (but more happy riding it whilst it's going strong at the moment). I have ready a supply of bullet connectors and the tube connectors to join them as these seemed appropriate and were easily available. So just interested in what 'hollow connectors' are to do the job properly.

Cheers, James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
wilko

Post by wilko »

If i could get my new camera to take a decent macro shot i'd take a picture.