042219 Rotor release valve

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

This is the only missing item I need now to rebuild the bottom end of my G5 basket case. Neither JPL, Russell Motors or Andrew Engineering have one dispite recent listings. Can anyone help with another source, even the dimensions (especially length and O.D.)or, dare I ask, perhaps somebody has one surplus?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

The rotor, I think is common for all lightweights, I may have a spare off a 250, will have to check, but can give you the dims, there is a narrow keyway in the bore which would be a bit awkward if you are going to make one yourself.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Thanks, Colin. I have been looking around some more to see if I could turn find one of these but no luck so it will have to be made without a pattern to hand. I am guessing it is a steel bush slotted inside to take the Woodruff key and with a hole that matches up to the breather hole in the engine drive side mainshaft. What I would need to know in particular is whether that hole is exactly the same size as the one in the main shaft - or is elongated or whatever?
Rod
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

From memory its same size hole as in axle, the larger hole is in the stator

Some basic dims of rotor...........
OD 1.147
ID .875
L .718
Breather hole dia.... .187 with large chamfer on OD
Breather hole position ...centre and opposite keyway
Keyway .....089 wide x .050 deep

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Colin,
Many, many thanks for this information and for the time it must have taken you to search out out the part and measure it up over the Christmas. Your help really is appreciated as this was the last obstacle to be overcome to finally rebuild this engine.

Roderick