Gaskets and membership

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
chrisb

Gaskets and membership

Post by chrisb »

Hi All,
Can anyone tell this dumb sod the difference between "overseas membership" and "overseas digital membership" ?
Also is there a gasket set for the Burman cp grearbox? On splitting the box, I think it only had silastic between housings.
Also on the 500cc motor, AMC classic spares sent me a gasket set, there is two very thin paper gaskets and 1 heavy copper gasket, where do the paper ones go, This bike has a compression spacer at bottom of barrel, I'm thinking either side of that plate.
Thanks, regards Chris
Trefor

Gaskets and membership

Post by Trefor »

Paper between barrell & c.case I used a thin smear of silastic aswell. I think you could dispense with the compression plates with modern petrol and improve the performance. It's easy to make a gearbox gasket from a sheet of gasket paper you can buy from auto supply shops.
Rob Harknett

Gaskets and membership

Post by Rob Harknett »

Overseas is the standard old type membership which you get the club magazine drop through your letter box.
Digital membership, you get the magazine e mailed in digital format. This saves postage so that membership type comes a bit cheaper.
Make sure all surfaces are nice and clean before refiting gaskets, no scapes and scratches. I give the head a little grind with grinding paste to get surfaces flat and clen, beats all the gunge you smear on which can blow out again. And don't forget, if you overdo the sealing gunge so it squeezes out, it can also squeeze out inside the engine, I also smear a bit of copper ease on threads.