Electricals kaput..!!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
bjork

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by bjork »

Yep, Loadsamoney, look at my wad! Sold the first batch out now, gone to England, Scotland, Isle of Man, Canada and now Hong Kong!!!
More to be ordered in the morning as the phone has already started ringing with calls from the Jampot readers. Ebay next week I think...maybe sell some as far away as Wales?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
z1100r

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by z1100r »

quote:
By the way, i bet that seats a bugger!

Its bloody awful...!! My knees are round my earholes, and the handlebar controls are in my face. After 5 minutes your back, arse, and shoulders, are in agony, and the insides of my legs are chaffed like a fat birds (by the petrol tank)....its still great fun though.

The bike does draw attention, nearly everyones initial reaction is a smile or laugh, but then they say something like "you know what, I really like that".Edited by - z1100r on 19 Jan 2012 10:01:36 AM
dave16mct

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by dave16mct »

Get yourself a single saddle (the lugs are there to fit it) and a pair of lower bars. It would suit a pair of braced MX scrambles bars. Oh and please ditch that horrible rear light unit! Make a really nice comp lookalike, probably worth about 10K on ebay! Dave.
z1100r

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by z1100r »

I have the original saddle, bars, both mudguards, and one toolbox, all in very good condition, but you know what I'm going to say dont you..!!

"You know what, I really like it like it is".

bigwol

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by bigwol »

I might have to have a chat about some of those "spares"
It's all just riding motorbikes
cf160

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by cf160 »

If the mag is all straight , there's nought more to say!
David J.Potter
z1100r

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by z1100r »

quote:
If the mag is all straight , there's nought more to say!

The mag was sent away to be checked 20 years ago. It may of had nothing done to it at all...? it may have been considered fine. If so it is now a 60year old mag. If it was re-magnetised and rewound etc in 1991 its still a twenty year old mag.

How long are Magnetos expected to keep their magnetism and also general integrity of electrical components - such as coils and condensors etc.....??? Roughly, I mean, you know, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years.
zwarts

Electricals kaput..!!

Post by zwarts »

My 1946 AJS 18 has its original magneto with original windings, condenser and points still fitted. Starts easily and runs fine!
If it works well, the best thing you can do is clean it out internally, regrease the bearings, check the armature end float, clean/reset the points, and then use it as intended.
If you don't feel competent to do this work yourself, then leave well alone!!
Bob