Spring engine shock absorber

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

quote:
This seems to answer the question I was going to ask.
Taking the primary drive apart on my '47 G80 I was suprised to see the shock absorber cam standing "point to point" that is, ridden up its cam slopes, and stuck just before going over. Never seen that before. Having got it apart, measured the spring. Just about 1 1/2". A smidge less than the size given above for the 350. So that's one new bit i need.

I would have thought that even with no spring fitted the cams should not be able to ride up to the point where they jam. I would therefor sugest that one or both of your cams are worn and should be replaced as even with a stronger spring fitted the same thing would probably occur.

Ian
strider

Post by strider »

Without new parts to compare with, its difficult to tell how much ware there is. There's no sign of significant wear and it looks no worse than most others I have seen.
It had been prevented from going over the top, by the 350 spec spring being completely compressed. I presume that a 500 spec spring fully compressed will be thicker and there will be no possibility of the cams riding so far up.Edited by - strider on 22 Sep 2012 10:19:39 AM
strider

Post by strider »

With a new part to compare with, from AMOC Parts, spring for the 500 is 1, 9/16th.
But it is wound from round rather thn square stock. Will it be the same strength as the original?
The internal diameter is 1/16th larger than the original spring, and I am not happy with the way it seats on the shock absorber. So I will not be fitting it, unless I cannot find a better one.
As I am pretty new to the club, I hesitate to ask, but how are decisions regarding quality of spares sold by AOMC Parts made? (see also my post regarding clutch plates.
cf160

Post by cf160 »

The AMOC Parts doesn't seem to have any used parts
at all. I have never got one ,nor have I heard of anyone
getting one. The used parts are only for those who can
show up and go through them to find what is wanted.
David J.Potter
strider

Post by strider »

I meant the engineering spec on newly manufactured parts as sold by them.