Wheels

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
bigwol

Wheels

Post by bigwol »

I think he was being a bit tongue in cheek Rob. I might have had a half width front wheel he could have until he called me useless though!
It's all just riding motorbikes
z1100r

Wheels

Post by z1100r »

quote: How on earth can you say people here are useless

I didn't mean it literally...dear dear. Tongue in cheek..yes BigWol.

Anyway, THis is Central Wheel, you telling me they have no idea what a late 40's early 50's Matchless G80 (AJS 18) had as a front wheel...?? Bullshit, they have been building motorcycle wheels every day for decades, If I had been building them that long I'd have a catalogue that good I could tell the customer the exact wheel his bike should have. They should have a database second to none in terms of wheels/fitments. All the offsets/ hub types/ rim types/ and spoke lengths. Every time you build one you fill in a few details. Unbelievable that they not only got it wrong..but that they insisted they were right.

Can you imagine the next stage..!!! ME/Them etc "its wrong", "Its what you ordered", "Its what you told me it should be", "Send it back", "who pays for postage"...???!!!! and so on.
Rob Harknett

Wheels

Post by Rob Harknett »

Know what you mean, but I guess they get a lot of wrong info, then complains the rebuilds are no good, so they try and cover there backs.
L:ast time I had a pair of wheels built I took them to a wheel builder that worked for Greeves. He could not go wrong I guess as the wheels were complete, what the bike was was not an issue, it did'nt matter. He just said let me have the wheels as they are ( complete but rotten) when I got them back I only had to fit tyres & tubes. he had rebuilt them powder coated the hubs, and the bearings etc all cleaned and packed with grease ready to roll..
alanengineer

Wheels

Post by alanengineer »

I like being called useless, it gives me status
willschub

Wheels

Post by willschub »

'52 was single sided alloy brake plate with brake arm pointing to the rear and cable adjuster on brake torque arm behind fork leg. '53 was also alloy brake plate (not full width) but with brake actuating lever pointing forwards and adjuster/cable outer anchor in front of fork leg. the '52 and '53 brake plates look similar but the torque stay holes are in different locations. (found out the hard way). Have a look at the owners handbooks on Christian's archives. The '53 one has a good illustration. Haven't checked the '52. Regards and good luck, Bill
z1100r

Wheels

Post by z1100r »

you've lost me on that brake thing. I've just looked at internet pics of models from a 49 to a 53 and they all look exactly the same - except mine which someone pointed out was wrong and I agree with them.

So how do you access Christians archives...???
dave16mct

Wheels

Post by dave16mct »

dave16mct

Wheels

Post by dave16mct »

Your front hub looks correct for 52, but it was the wrong way round, which made it look different. Now you've got it on the correct side, the lever should point backwards and the stay should be in tension.
z1100r

Wheels

Post by z1100r »

Hey, great stuff, more reading, thanks for link.
z1100r

Wheels

Post by z1100r »

I've been keeping my eye on second hand alloy wheels. It seems they sell for more than new ones - why is that...?? Makes no sense, a beat up old scored and scratched rim goes for £213 when a brand new super shiny one is only £160. I think £160 is silly money...£218 secondhand is just plain daft.

The one before that was £298.!!!!!! Wow.Edited by - z1100r on 20 Feb 2012 08:29:48 AM