advance/retard cable

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ghost123uk

advance/retard cable

Post by ghost123uk »

This is why I like manual advance / retard. I have mine set so it can be adjusted to be slightly over advanced / retarded, gives YOU the option to choose where you want it, the centre point being "right" for touring type driving.

quote: plug out and pencil down the plug 'ole)that's so long that if you let go it won't disappear into the cylinder (eh, Clive?).

I also "lost a pencil" down the plug hole, but figured it was only wood and graphite, so I fired it up = It ran fine, coughed a few times as bits of wood got crushed under the exhaust valve, the bits of wood came out of the silencer looking quite clean ! After a minute or so ticking over it all cleared up and seemed no worse for the experience !

That was many years ago and these days (I think) I would be more sensible and get the head off (I think

~~~~~~~~~~~~

p.s. = If you feed oak tree leaf into the carb (at tickover, then "blip" the throttle) and it comes out the silencer with just a slight crush mark from the valve

Kids Eh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, with a G12, near Chester in the UK
clive

advance/retard cable

Post by clive »

quote: plug out and pencil down the plug 'ole)that's so long that if you let go it won't disappear into the cylinder (eh, Clive?).
I won't be using a pencil again, the problem wasn't that I let it go, rather that I held it at the wrong angle so that the end was broken off as I tried to find TDC (flat top piston) . Hope your personal repairs are progressing Neville and that you will be astride Marigold this summer.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix