Rear bracket chaincase to battery box

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

hi,
On my 1949 18 rigid there is a bracket on the back of the inner chaincase half. I think it bolts to the chaingaurd and maybe battery box?, as this bike came with a box of parts, semi assembled, can anyone help me with 1. did these bikes have a connecting bracket, ( chaincase to battery box ) 2.what does it look like and how does it mount?
Thanks Chris
RayRST

Post by RayRST »

On my 1948 16M the bracket runs from the underside of the battery support connected with a countersunk head bolt down at approx 45 degrees to the chaincase front top mounting which has the long headed bolt. For the 16M the plate is part number D-E181-B the battery carrier bolt STD-40 and the chaincase bolt 36-8-C28. I once lost this long bolt and was able to obtain a replacement from Russells, is is now held with thread lock. I will try to get a photo of it if you want.
Regards
Ray Kell
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Same on my 55 G3LS
wilko

Post by wilko »

The chaincase bracket should have a captive nut on it. (I think)
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for your reply's Rob and Ray
Being from Oz, it takes a couple of weeks to get parts from Jampot/AMC, ,If it's not too much trouble, a photo would be great, as I thought I might try and make the bracket. Also, does the chaingaurd rear mount attach there as well?
Regards Chris
RayRST

Post by RayRST »

I will add the photo in the photo section of the Forum. The bracket is a simple piece of flat strip bent at approx 45 degrees at each end. Tyhe connectin on the chainguard is a tapped hole in a raised boss. My battery base has a hole which is chamfered to take a countersunk bolt.
Regards
Ray Kell
itma

Post by itma »

A bit less than 45 degrees, and the chaincase end needs to be oval to allow for fitting; it should fit over the fixed threaded boss in the rear chaincase chaincase extension.

battery tray end is 2ba countersunk
easy enough to make.
Ray beat me to a pic.
wilko

Post by wilko »

And don't forget to cut some rubber up and glue to the carrier bottom and sides to help isolate vibes to battery.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Actualy its mcuh more than 45 degrees Ken, look at the parts list pic, top & bottom ends are obtuse angles more like 70 degrees. But dont worry about degrees , it has to be bent flat against the bottom of the battery carrier and flat on the top of the primary case fixing lug. Do make sure thats a CSK screw through the battery base.
You may even be cleaver enough to mark the holes out with out elongating. But perhaps make the holes with ample clearence for fittings.
itma

Post by itma »

you are right Rob I suffer from numerical confuddlement