1956 ajs 18cs question

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
charlski

1956 ajs 18cs question

Post by charlski »

Hi there hopefully someone can help ( I think from reading the updates don is the pro on this subject) I have a 18cs 1956 model, still in unrestored desert sled shape ( bates seat and foot peg covers, modified air filter, oil tank relocated to the left to enable the air filter to fit, spokes all wired where they cross, wide desert bars, and lock wire on various components, everything that wasnt needed has gone and even has spare chain links under the seat, with a later high pipe straight through, the whole bike is battered from racing, many would just want to rip it apart to restore it, but I want to keep it exactly as it is, but just ensure the engine and shocks run sweet, it's fitted with seized girlings from the later model, but the mudguard loop is missing and so the rear fender has nothing to sit on, so is sitting on a thin piece of wire, so this is one item I do need to source, can someone tell me do I simply need a 57 loop to run with the girlings or will a 56 do ?? I know the shocks fit to the frame bust just checking was this item altered when it went from jam pots to girlings ?? Thanks
iandusud

1956 ajs 18cs question

Post by iandusud »

I suggest that you contact AMC Classic Spares, who are knowledgable about these loops which vary from model to model and year to year. 01462 811770 ask for Steven. Or email spares@amcclassicspares.com

Ian
Don Madden

1956 ajs 18cs question

Post by Don Madden »

I've been on holiday for a couple of days so just saw this. The CS mudguards do not sit on the stay, but are bolted to the mudguard itself. Genuine CS mudguards have rivited in steel reinforcements at attachment points. The rear reinforcements extend from rolled edge to edge & from in front of the bridge to behind the seat bolts. The center bridge is welded to the rear sub-frame, not bolted. The seat has a slot in the pan to clear the bridge. There is also a support extending back from the suspension units to support the back. They are different from the 1955 & previous but similar to the 1957. The bolts for this have large aluminum washers under the nuts to spread the load. Similar washers are used at the front mount.

The front mudguard has three rivited in reinforcements, at the center bridge & at the two stays.

Send me a PM for more info. Cheers, Don.