Newby with G5 1960

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
tinhat

Newby with G5 1960

Post by tinhat »

Hello all
I'm a newby to the forums.
Just acquired a G5 (1960) and have a couple of questions.
whenever I purchase a used machine, I always check and change all the filters and oil.
So over the weekend I changed the engine and gearbox oil.
When I took the oil filter out it appeared to be about 1 and 1/2 inches longer than the one supplied as a replacement and also pretty permanently attached to the domed nut used to retain it.
Can anyone confirm that this is correct for a motorcycle of this marque and vintage.
Also the oil in the primary chaincase appeared to have the colour and consistency of Power steering fluid. The handbook says use Engine oil (SAE50) which is correct?

When started it does sound VERY nice.
Its wonderfull to be back with British
Last matchless I owned was a 250 G2 reg 215 MCV back in 1970!
Wonder where she is now?

Anyway any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, or even suggestions about where to find it.
Very Best Regards
TH
TH
ajscomboman

Newby with G5 1960

Post by ajscomboman »

There are 2 lengths of filter for the L/Ws and the 350 uses the longer one available from our parts service. I just clean the gauze one attached to the cap in acetone and leave to dry. ATF is what I run in the primary drive as anything heavier causes the clutch to drag.
tinhat

Newby with G5 1960

Post by tinhat »

Thanks vey much for the info on filters
. Looks like I need to buy some ATF then.
Best regards
TH
TH
Ozmadman

Newby with G5 1960

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Hello all
whenever I purchase a used machine, I always check and change all the filters and oil.
When I took the oil filter out it appeared to be about 1 and 1/2 inches longer than the one supplied as a replacement and also pretty permanently attached to the domed nut used to retain it.
Can anyone confirm that this is correct for a motorcycle of this marque and vintage.
Also the oil in the primary chaincase appeared to have the colour and consistency of Power steering fluid. The handbook says use Engine oil (SAE50) which is correct?

Wonder where she is now?

Anyway any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, or even suggestions about where to find it.
Very Best Regards
TH

I have the 1960 AJS version of your bike and your filter,as was mine, is the original type fitted(filter permanently fitted to the dome nut) so just wash it out. I have changed mine to the later felt type purely because it was so damn tight when I tried to get it out for the first time that easy outs were the only option and I virtually wrecked the dome hex cap. Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
BigAl350

Newby with G5 1960

Post by BigAl350 »

By all means try ATF in the gearbox but there have been a couple of reports of the clutch slipping when it was used. Your mileage, as they say, may well vary - I use SAE50 and never had any problems with drag or slip.

Nice PROPER JOB Cornish reg on the bike too...

There is a huge wealth of information on the Lightweights in the club forum and from Christian's Archives.

Al

quote:
Hello all

Wonder where she is now?

Very Best Regards
TH
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
tinhat

Newby with G5 1960

Post by tinhat »

I have gone for straight 50 in the primary side.
Slipped at first (when kicking over on full compression. but has stopped now. So ATf is proably a bit too slippery.
I will order a new cap for the filter and ten write up my findings on filters, for others.
Al whats happening to the 1952 mod 8 (in bits) does it need a home? I'd like a 250 to go with the 350 as alightweight pair.
Thanks TH
TH
BigAl350

Newby with G5 1960

Post by BigAl350 »

The AJS Model 8 (1962, not 1952) is a 350 - the 250 AJS Lightweight is the Model 14 (=Matchless G2). I wouldn't bother with a standard 250 Lightweight - they have 17 inch wheels (not great in my opinion) and horrible FB forks. If you must have a 250, go for a 250CSR with the excellent 1 and 1/8 inch forks and fun perfomance/looks.

I'd certainly consider selling my Matchless G5! My wife would be very pleased indeed...I do have some Lightweight spares - get in touch if you need anything.

Al

quote:
I have gone for straight 50 in the primary side.
Slipped at first (when kicking over on full compression. but has stopped now. So ATf is proably a bit too slippery.
I will order a new cap for the filter and ten write up my findings on filters, for others.
Al whats happening to the 1952 mod 8 (in bits) does it need a home? I'd like a 250 to go with the 350 as alightweight pair.
Thanks TH
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
active997

Newby with G5 1960

Post by active997 »

Good morning all.
I'm a newby to the forums and just bought a 1962 G5.
G5 Model also called AJS?
Ian5913

Newby with G5 1960

Post by Ian5913 »

Active997 have you got it running (Is it a runner) and welcome to the forum. Ian
itma

Newby with G5 1960

Post by itma »

ATF is a 20 grade oil and a very good way to ruin an already delicate gearbox.

why on earth would someone use automatic gearbox oil in one?

A G5 is a Matchless.

the 350 is a better bike than the 250, neither of them are bikes for the beginner.

Just tuppence worth from the old git but then I am only here to scare then away, ask bigwol

Where have all these lightweights come from all of a sudden? has someone drained a quarry somewhere?