Dismantling Jampots - how much hassle?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

It's me again! One of my Model 18's Jampot top cover tubes is slightly dented and needs to be replaced, as it is causing the chrome bottom cover tube to be scuffed. It's not too bad at the moment, but will get no better unless something is done about it. Is there an easy way to remove the top cover (016408) without having to dismantle the whole suspension assembly?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

the rod screws into the top mounting, the large retainer halfway up the alloy tube actually compresses the spring, you will need to undo this first to take the tension/compression off the spring, make up a tool if yours has the retainer with small holes in it and undo the ring, you will then gain access to the inner rod which you can clamp to remove the top clevis and replace the cover, I,m speaking from memory here, I rebuilt my jampots a couple of years ago and had to make up . I believe. 6 special tools but it was'nt to difficult, I have now replaced all the innards with Icon inserts, just be aware there may be a little more spring tension than thought but it normally is ok, I managed to rethread rings with a little pressure kind regards
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If its a 56 model 18S, you will have to undo the bottom clevis, press down on the bottom chrome cover and remove the circlip holdong the bottom collar. Then remove the bottom chrome cover, spring and top cover. You will probably need new leather washers, and seals for the bottom clevis as well. DaveEdited by - dave16mct on 06 May 2012 4:02:53 PMEdited by - dave16mct on 06 May 2012 4:04:19 PM
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Thank both. Some useful tips here. Will digest.Edited by - Mckorkins on 06 May 2012 4:06:58 PM
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Dave I know there is a difference in the retaining ring between some j/pots, is it the later ones with the circlip then? kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Is there a secret to stop lower chrome covers from getting scuffed, jampots or forks. This happened to brand new bikes.
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

quote:
Is there a secret to stop lower chrome covers from getting scuffed, jampots or forks. This happened to brand new bikes.

Yes, you could fit teflon buttons inside the top covers, about halfway down, preventing contact and with only marginal additional friction. But finding the correct position to fit them will be crucial, because if dirt gets trapped in that sandwich, you may still see some scuffing.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

51-54 jampots had the threaded bottom collar, 55-56 had the circlip fitting. Cheers Dave.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

You cannot remove the top bracket before removing the covers as they have a lock nut. The main springs are very stiff & hard to compress. The easy way is to drill a 3/8in hole in the end of a piece of angle stock & suspend the unit inverted by the bottom bracket to access the retaining ring. Feed a loop of rope through the top bracket long enough to almost reach the floor & step in it. This will spread the unit by compressing the internal rebound spring, taking the pressure off the main spring. A shot of penetrating oil helps as they are likely to be rusty. Then use the appropriate tool to remove the threaded ring or circlip as needed. The top & bottom brackets need not be disturbed to remove springs & covers. Cheers, Don.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

You cannot remove the top bracket before removing the covers as they have a lock nut. The main springs are very stiff & hard to compress. The easy way is to drill a 3/8in hole in the end of a piece of angle stock & suspend the unit inverted by the bottom bracket to access the retaining ring. Feed a loop of rope through the top bracket long enough to almost reach the floor & step in it. This will spread the unit by compressing the internal rebound spring, taking the pressure off the main spring. A shot of penetrating oil helps as they are likely to be rusty. Then use the appropriate tool to remove the threaded ring or circlip as needed. The top & bottom brackets need not be disturbed to remove springs & covers. Cheers, Don.